OT For Officer Dave

TRUE STORY Or So I was Told???

Recently on patrol,a new State Trooper was parked across the street of a well known bar in an area of Oklahoma (to remain nameless).

After last call, the officer noticed a man leaving the bar so apparently intoxicated that he could barely walk.

The man stumbled around the parking lot for a few minutes, with the officer quietly observing.

After what seemed an eternity, in which he tried his keys on five different vehicles, the man managed to find his car and fall into it.

He sat there for a few minutes as a number of other patrons left the bar and drove off.

Finally he started the car, switched the wipers on and off--it was a fine, dry summer night--flicked the blinker on and off a couple of times, honked the horn and then switched on the lights.

He moved the vehicle forward a few inches, reversed a little, and then remained still for a few more minutes as some more of the other patrons' vehicles left.

At last, when his was the only car left in the parking lot, he pulled out and drove slowly down the road.

The trooper having waited patiently all this time, now started up his SUV, put on the flashing lights, and promptly pulled the man over and administered a breathalyzer test.

To his amazement, the breathalyzer indicated no evidence that the man had consumed any alcohol at all!

Dumbfounded, the trooper said, "I'll have to ask you to accompany me to the station. This breathalyzer equipment must be broken."

"I doubt it," said the truly proud Okie. "Tonight I'm the designated decoy

Dave B

"63 Avanti R1493 3sp. o/d

Reply to
mcavanti

If that's not a true story, it ought to be!

Reply to
Dave's Place www.davesplaceinc

I was a deputy in Coos County, Oregon. Up the mountain in Powers, Oregon there are three bars. All had people who sat at the door and watched the cop. Usually, there would be one old, decrepid drunk who would toddle over and want a ride to his house. Always it was way out of town. So, the civic minded cop would give him a ride - and everyone else went home, too!

Reply to
Dan Kay

This story is many years old and I believe that it is fiction, but still a neat story.

Reply to
studegary

That ranks with my all time favorite that also is so good it ought to be true:

studegary wrote:

Reply to
Pat Drnec

--------------------------------------------------- That's a good 'joke' that made the rounds years ago.

Sad part about this story is that the newer LEOs find their DWIs this way. They do what we used to call "Bird Dog" the clubs and wait until someone stumbles out drunk and then arrest them when they hit the highway. The art of DWI detection and apprehension has faded away with the 'quota' system that some departments now set for their officers. Pretty piss poor police work!

Reply to
Loy Daniel

Thanks for the honesty Loy. Seems to me they might be better off looking for burglars and the like but then again, burglars might be armed and shoot back. However, a couple of days ago a guy shot two guys breaking into his nieghbor's house...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

They don't even do that around here. They just block off roads and set up checkpoints. It's been a few years since I've actually been stopped at one, but according to the TV they are still using them in Virginia, DC and Maryland. I'm not entirely sure how that isn't a violation of the fourth amendment, but apparently not enough of the public is opposed to them to do anything about it.

There was a well-publicized incident in Fairfax County a couple years ago where a "sting" involved going into local bars, forcing anyone that to the officers appeared "impaired" to take a breathalyzer, and arresting anyone that blew over the legal limit for driving for "public intoxication."

Safest thing around here is to simply not drink unless at home or at a friend's house.

I guess I don't really have a problem with a LEO arresting anyone that shows signs of intoxication and is driving, but the methods being used now don't really have anything to do with actual impairment and have everything to do with simply "catching more violators."

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

A few years back the local po- lice went into the bars parking lot and shot a spray of luminous paint onto the rear bumper of the cars parked there. Then later would shine a special light on it when they saw it driving off....and were arrested. It took a little side investigation to right the wrong doings of the law..Can you spell entrapment?

Dave B

Reply to
mcavanti

Drunks in a 4000# missile are definetly armed and dangerous. Take em off the streets officers

Reply to
rustynutgarage

Right, we all know burglars have killed many more folks than have drunken drivers. A balanced officer will look for both.

Dave Lester

Reply to
Dave's Place www.davesplaceinc

Reply to
Pat Drnec

Thank-you, Dave!

Joe Roberts

Reply to
itraseecab

Thanks, JT but... Just one problem; I can't stand Austin. Too much crime!

Reply to
Loy Daniel

Heard you had some snow last night Loy.... Jeff

"Loy Daniel" wrote.

Reply to
Jeff Rice

I heard that we got 3-4 inches of snow but I was out of town last week from Wednesday till Sunday. Thanksgiving Day I was hidin' out with Dave in the Quanset Hut until my wife called me to come to the son's house at Turkey Time (By the way, Dave. I certainly enjoyed the visit ...and making off with the loot too. Thanks!).

We went to Stillwater OK on Wednesday, Dallas TX on Friday and Austin TX on Saturday. We ran into quiet a bit of snow all the way from San Angelo TX to north of Lamesa TX when we drove home from Austin on Sunday but the snow quit just 15 miles south of home. Our driveway was bone dry when we rolled up.

Reply to
Loy Daniel

snip

So, how come you didn't call so we could visit???

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire