pulley confusion...

So today I finally got to really cleaning and painting the pile of rusty, greasy parts that I'm hoping to assemble into a functional car... also took a look at the mess of pulleys I had and tried to make sense of it all. It looks like on a late standard V-8, the crank pulley is about 6.5" and the water pump pulley is about 7" - so the solid fan turns a little slower than the crank. On a car with a viscous fan, it looks like the crank pulley is about 7-1/4" unless you have a R1 damper in which case it is 7", and the water pump pulley is 6-1/4" so the water pump is actually turning FASTER than the crank. Is this correct?

After looking in the parts book some more, it appears that there is a different part number for the power steering pulley on JT engines than for regular engines, but the PS pulley from my old engine seems to fit fine. (and I spent enough time derusting it, too...) SASCO does not list any stock of the JT pulley. Is this really a big deal? what's the difference, anyway? The P/S pulley only drives the P/S pump so as long as it won't throw belts I really don't care if it's 100% correct...

Still trying to see if I'm able to find an A/C pulley that works on the crank. Based on the numbers above, with the R1 damper and the viscous drive fan pulley, and the A/C fan pulley being about 6-1/8" I would need a crank pulley for the A/C about 6-3/4" - actually a shade larger, but my measurements weren't the most precise as I was estimating pitch diameter...

this is all assuming of course that all the parts I have are what I think they are...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

John Poulos

All right, I looked back in the parts book again, I had it all ass backwards, it's the fan pulley that changes between standard and R-1, JP might have been right after all. Better yet SASCO still has the R-1 specific pulley in stock.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

JP is right about the power steering pulley. What is the difference in the water pump pulleys? Tim K.

Reply to
GTtim

have to be different diameters, because the A/C belt also drives the water pump. Since the R1 balancer is a different diameter than the standard fan pulley, the A/C pulley on the fan has to be a different diameter as well to avoid belt smokage.

This whole setup makes my head hurt just thinking about it. Why did they have to run the belt over the water pump?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Does JP have any hair left?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Have you thought about running the AC off of the one wire GM double pulley alternator? Presto!!! Pulley conflicts will disapear!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

You owe me a keyboard!

JT

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

N8 and I do things differently. I would have hung a extra pulley on the crank, when I added the compressor later, I'd spend a hour running a belt off something. N8 will spend a month pondering his options. I think somewhere in the middle would be best.

Reply to
John Poulos

So make a bracket and mount the belt tension pulley on the left side and by-pass the water pump pulley. Are you running an "R" engine? Dennis had the pulley for the water pump for Lark/Hawk types. It'll cost you a small fortune. I have a used one I can measure.(Not for sale).

By the time you figure this out it will be winter and..............

Studeski

Reply to
Studeski

yes I am running an R1. I thought the price for the water pump A/C pulley was reasonable, I told JP to get me one next time he places a SASCO order. That should be what I need to make this work correctly if I'm figuring this right, and I will have one for a non-R engine for sale. According to web site they are out of stock on the lower A/C pulley and the water pump fan/alternator pulley. So if you have an R-motor with working A/C and could measure those for me it would be greatly appreciated. I just need to verify that I have the correct alt/fan drive pulley on the water pump and also that the P/S pulley and lower A/C pulley are the same size.

I am hoping to get the bell dialed in hopefully this weekend and hear this bad boy run... (see thread "ooh, shiny" for pics of where I'm at with this)

nate

Reply to
N8N

I have seen that done, also mounting the A/C in the alternator location and driving the alternator off the second groove on a Sanden, but wouldn't either method cause a lot of extra load on the single belt going around the crank?

nate

Reply to
N8N

Just buy good belts and change a little more often..

JT

N8N wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

You are gonna need the 1563110 (cast?) water pump pulley. I don't have one to measure. I'll look at the Avanti I have in the shop. The power steering pulley on the crank isn't much different (what JP said) than any other Stude V8. Bolt it to the damper and use a die grinder to match the ID.

Studeski

N8N wrote:

Reply to
Studeski