I finally got my jeep today!

Okay, so this is my first Jeep. How do you store the windows? One dealer said: "fold them, roll them ,what ever" the other said: "it was a cardinal sin to do so". How do you keep your soft-top windows healthy longer?

What could i use in place of carpeting? I want to take that stuff out immediately. I can't afford to sprayline it just yet. I don't want to just have the plain painted floor either, I heard of a rubber substitute. What do you use?

I really want to be lazy about my Jeep. I want to leave the top and doors off all the time. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, and I already don't want to care. Should I? If I cover the seats with plastic bags at night and take out the carpet, what could go wrong?

I need some wisdom.

-Muuurgh

Reply to
Muuurgh

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Muuurgh,

Congratulations on your first Jeep!

Always clean the plastic windows before you ROLL them up. That keeps the dirt from scratching them up.

Full rubber floor mats are a good choice until you can Linex it.

Get a trail cover to keep the weather out when parked. Rain in and around the dash can be harmful.

In the future, it's always helpful to list your model/year.

I apologize for the (HarryS) post, most here are not like him.

Reply to
JimG

Muuurgh. I hang mine when they aren't in the jeep. That being said, they've been on enough times whilst riding through narrow trails that one can easily see they're used. I've decided not to be too precious about them. There are plastic polishies that remove small scratches, and surprisingly, Pledge furniture cleaner does a good job of hiding them, if you don't have the time, or elbow grease, to polish them out.

I think there are also some commercially available (or DIY) fleece bags for window storage.

In the end, no matter what you do, they're plastic windows and they're gonna get scratched. You gotta get used to it. n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Eat my ass.

Reply to
Shaggie

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Wouldn't that be "Eat my shorts"

Did you f> >

Reply to
Jim85CJ

So to actually get around to answering questions... You can roll your windows but I would put a peice of parchment paper or something similiar rolled with it to prevent the plastic from rubbing itself. Make sure you do this in warm weather so the plastic isn't brittle and crackes. You can replace the carpet with a spray in bedliner, but that can be from 300-700$. You should really use atleast a bikini top to provide some sun protection, for you and the plastic in the jeep. Nick

Reply to
Nick N

One thing that's helped a LOT with my soft top windows is a cheap product called Kit Scratch-Out. I think it's to take clear coat scratches off, but says safe for all plastics too on it. It's like $3 a bottle and takes even really deep tree scratches out of my windows pretty well. It goes on/polishes out like wax. As for storage of the windows, I got the canvas bags Jeep used to sell with their soft top boot and keep the windows rolled up in those when not in use. Hope this helps.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Congrats!

I have seen one sweet way to keep the windows like new.

The gent used to post here and he said it was the only Jeep accessory he felt was worth buying from the dealer.

It is a bag shaped like an artists 'briefcase' that unzips and has soft pockets in it. The windows slide flat into the pockets and the whole bag slides nicely under the back seat.

He always did have nice looking windows....

Either clear or black rubber mats also look ok in a Jeep with no carpet.

Getting the drain plugs out the first time is a pain. The break so be prepared to get rubber grommets to replace them, especially the ones behind the front seats.

I recommend a bikini top for keeping the rain out of the dash. It isn't really water proof and has a pile of electronics up there.

I sometimes just use a tent fly over my windshield and front seats when parked. The fly has hooks on elastic straps and goes on and off fast.

Mike

Muuurgh wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

While I tried to leave the doors off and the top down and all that Jeep stuff, I got tired of getting wet. So, mostly my top is down but my windows are always with me. I got a Window Roll from Clover Patch. Christ, its so simple. If it rains, and it does here, a lot, I tuck under a whatever and the top goes up and the windows go back in. On the trail, the Window Roll keeps my top clean. Look in Google for "Jeep Window Roll". And my windows (2001 TJ) are pretty good. I can see out of them.

Hey What do Jeep dealers know! .

Andy

Reply to
Andy