WTB: A/C pulley

anyone have a lower A/C pulley for a V-8? I started working my way through my "stuff to clean and paint before I can assemble my car" box and found that I never had a lower pulley at all, someone just put on an extra power steering pulley, it's narrower than the A/C pulley. I need to put something on, since the crank bolt I bought is for a car with A/C.

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Wow, after looking into this farther I may have to bag this idea completely, unless someone can tell me the diameters of the various pulleys. I'm ASSuming for the sake of argument that all the pulleys I have are for a '63 model car as as best I can figure the engine they came off of came out of a '63 Lark. (has a '63 serial number and had a Lark throttle bellcrank on it.)

536739 - standard fan drive pulley (on water pump) 534735 - fan drive pulley with viscous drive or air conditioning (on water pump) I assume this is used on R-series, the book does not explicitly say

533890 - standard fan drive pulley (on crank)

1558673 - fan drive pulley with viscous drive or air cond. (on crank) 1558279 - R-series damper/pulley (OK, this one I can measure as I know I have this one) - or maybe someone can tell me, is the R-series damper the same size as the viscous drive or non-viscous-drive pulley? Or neither? (I suspect the latter, see below)

1552695 - compressor/fan drive pulley, 61V & 62V

1559987 - same, 63V & 64V w/JT engine 1558369 - same, 63V & 64V

sheesh! I was never nuts about the idea of driving the water pump with two different sized pulleys to begin with, but all these different permutations... what were they smoking? I guess you have to have a perfectly matched set of pulleys to get it right, and since I don't know exactly what I have, well... might be easier at this point to go completely custom with a belt that doesn't drive the water pump. Guess I need to find a different crank bolt for now :/

Oddly enough, there is only one part number (533890) 55-64 for the power steering crank pulley, with a few exceptions involving early A/C setups that apparently used a big cast pulley. That would make life easier, if I were looking for that one, which I'm not :/ As I suspected, that pulley was never used for an A/C pulley...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
John Poulos

Sheeeeeeeeeyit... The water pump pulleys can vary in diameter so long as the mating crank pulleys do. Otherwise, it might git a mite bit messy..

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

This crowd might be getting too rough for me.

Reply to
Dave's Place

Reply to
John Poulos

It's not that I'm being overly anal retentive, it would seem that unless all four pulleys are properly matched you could get two belts fighting each other, trying to drive the water pump at different speeds... I'd post which crank pulley I was looking for if only I could ID the water pump pulleys that I already have...

nate

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
John Poulos

I think they either use the wide belt or two narrow belts... I can make it work but not with the factory setup. I was just trying to keep it for coolness factor but it seems that it will be more of a PITA than it is worth. I guess I will put it back the way it was with two PS pulleys and try to figure out how to drive it later (i.e. not like the factory with the belt going around the water pump)

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
N8N

Reply to