1990 Subaru Legacy Complete Lack of Power

Hi,

I own a 1990 Legacy L with the 2.2L non-turbo auto trans. About a week ago the car completely lost power. It seems to run OK when the engine is under no load at all but when it is put in gear, the idle is extremely rough - almost stalling. If I am easy on the gas the car seems to run ok but if I hit the gas at all it sputters hesitates, and does not even have close to the power it should. It backfires, misses, and the engine makes a bogging sound.

I have changed the fuel and air filter, checked the plugs - they are a nice peachy golden brown color that they should be, pulled and plugged the vaccum line to the EGR, etc etc. It almost feels like the timing belt may have skipped a tooth.

I have one code that registered on the computer - it is a 35 for the air purge control solenoid. I have called the local dealership and they told me that it could be a number of things causing this code to set and I am not very interested in randomly replacing $80 sensors without being sure that they are the problem.

The exhaust does smell like it is running a little rich... Has anyone with this engine had a similar problem to this and if yes please help me out and point me in the right direction.

Thanks!!!!

Lucas

Reply to
Lucas

Edward Hayes

Reply to
Alan Ronemus

It may be your catalytic is plugged up, same thing happened to mine.

Mike

Reply to
Mike G.