98 Legacy Outback Electrical

Just replaced the alternator and the battery is fine.

Problem: The hazard lights and the dash will be gin to flash on and off for no particular reason. even after the car is turned off. Had to disconnect the battery to stop the activity. Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Reply to
birder

Probably not the hazard lights but the parking lights. The keyless entry will power up in the "panic" mode when the battery is disconnected and reconnected, it sounds like that is what is happening. To cancel it you either need to hit the unlock button on the remote or use the bypass/valet switch that should be under the dash someplace. This has been posted previously a few times, you can search for older posts on the topic for more detailed information.

Reply to
mulder

When we bought the car used, it did not come with a wireless remote. Does anyone know where this bypass/valet switch could be or what it even looks like.

Thank you

Reply to
birder

The switch is located on the left side of the wheel. It is under the dash and located just below the hood latch release...

A while back I read a post that talked about a button right over top of the eng hood release. Hard to explain but the guy with the problem did find it. I also recall that there was some info in the owners manual. That's about all I can add...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Pelka

Well they think they found the button. Held it for 15 seconds but the problem is still going on. Is there something else we should be doing?

Thank you

Reply to
birder

Hey It WORKED. At first we didn't have the motor on so there was no results. We then put the key and turned on the engine and then used the switch.

Thanks to all.

Reply to
birder

Yep the key has to be in the ignition, otherwise anyone could use the bypass button. The engine doesn't have to be running though, just turning the key to the run position is sufficient. Anyway glad you got it figured out.

Reply to
mulder