Everything old is new again...

And... only a week or so later.... the *&^&*&! check engine light has come on again tonight.

I could scream in frustration!

Legacy 2002, 150,000 kilometers (96,933 miles) Repair/maintenance costs 2007 ($4700.00) Repair/maintenance costs 2008 ($142.35 and counting....)

Reply to
Fred Boer

It's a Subaru Fred :) It's only a matter of time before either you torch it, or it does it on its own. The old school Subaru's are bulletproof, the newer ones are just shit....

Reply to
Roger Buttsnort

Hmmm, Sounds like you got a lemon there. I'd dump it. I have two 2000 Subies. One set of tires for each, one knock sensor went bad which I replaced at a cost of 25.00 from eBay. Brake jobs and struts. One ignition wire. No other trouble.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Just fyi for those interested:

Brought it to dealership. CEL code P0447; Evap Circuit fault. Reset, test drove it, and basically said that they couldn't fault the car.

I drove it away... 10 minutes later, CEL comes on. Sigh. Called back and was told to just drive it for a week or so and see if it goes out. So there we are.. At least they didn't charge me for pulling and clearing the code...

Reply to
Fred Boer

This is SO typical of Subaru's lack of support for it's victims (Customers). Just drive it a week with the check engine light on and see if it......

Destroys the cat convertor by running rich..... Burns holes in pistons by running lean... Damages other engine parts... overheats...... Voids it's warranty...... Or the light goes out.....

Subaru's NOT impressive trouble-shooting skills....

Reply to
Roger Buttsnort

Except that code won't cause any of those. There could be a sticky/frozen valve that WILL correct itself. Mabee not. Drive the thing for a week or two. That code will reset itself in about 50 cycles if the fault corrects itself. If, after the weather warms up, the problem persists, have it rechecked BY THE SAME DEALERSHIP. This is a NON CRITICAL code and failure..

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Hi:

I understand that the P0447 code is not overly serious - but having the CEL left on might mask other more serious conditions. So I agree with Roger that having the CEL on isn't a good thing! Still, I've had endless trouble with CEL lights (finally traced to a corroded wiring harness in the rear wheel well), and have gotten accustomed to seeing them. The idea that something is frozen is plausible... the CEL came on a few days ago, when we experienced a flash freeze, going from very wet, snowy conditions to very cold temperatures in a few hours. It has remained very cold, and I will have to wait until the weather warms up to see if the CEL might reset itself. I'm having no driveability problems - and, believe me, I know how to recognize driveability problems by now with this car! :)

Reply to
Fred Boer

BTW... flying a plane with a Subaru engine? Given my experience... I'd be sure to bring a parachute! ;)

Reply to
Fred Boer

here:

A P0447 is actually - Evaporative emission control system vent control low input. The problem with this code (and others like it) is that it could be a wiring issue with the rear wiring harness, a physical problem with a vent for the evap system (i.e., stuck open or closed) or something as simple as the gas cap leaking (unlikely, of course, too inexpensive....). My son's car was throwing a P0446, which is a little more specific to the wiring. After examining all of the wiring behind the right rear tire (where the evap cannister is on his Impreza) and finding nothing that appeared obviously amiss, I ended up taking the car to the dealer, as they have specific diagnostic equipment. After paying $800 to replace the rear wiring harness (huge labor $$ as they have to drop the gas tank), the CEL went away. We had no choice as the car was up for inspection.

Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

On mine they repaired the corroded soldered connections when this happened the first time. It took 3 visits (1 at local shop, 2 at dealership) and about $350.00 to diagnose and fix this. So that leads us to suspect the "vent stuck open" is more likely.

Reply to
Fred Boer

How old does it have to be to be old school? I have a '95 Legacy.

TIA Edwin

Reply to
Edwin Hurwitz

Just FYI...

The code has persisted for a week or two, but... it has gone out 4 or 5 times. It is, for example out at the moment, and has stayed out for the afternoon and evening to this poing (3 trips). It may come on again, but I have calmed down about it.

I was chatting with a friend who has an Outback Wagon.. he says he only gets nervous when the light goes out! :)

Reply to
Fred Boer

What was I thinking to think things might be ok for me and my Subie!?!?

Got a flashing check engine light. I believe this is because of misfiring. Engine sounded like it was dying. Back to the shop tomorrow. Hm. The interval was about 4 weeks between problems this time - about a week longer than average (over the past year....)

Reply to
Fred Boer