Expected Life of Sooby Suspension & Steering

I've got an almost 10 yr old 97 Brighton Wagon with 144k mi. Never replaced anything in the steering, suspension (or drive train). And as far as I can tell, don't need to. Is this unusual, or can I expect many more miles before something goes?

Only major repair was a failed belt pulley last year - $900 repair which also solved my oil leakage problem of several years.

Now, if only the car got mileage befitting its 2.2l engine.

Jim

Reply to
kaplan3jiim

I'd say it has seen a lot of highway driving if CV joint boots haven't been replaced - that's a little unusual I guess. Not impossible, obviously.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi,

Other than CV joints as Carl mentioned, I'd suspect the shock section of your strut assemblies is probably getting tired. Otherwise, if the car's been used on decent roads, not frequently overloaded, hasn't been smacked into curbs and potholes, I don't think your experience is out of line.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I just had to replace one wheel bearing in my right rear a couple of weeks back. That was a $500 punch in the face, but I was expecting it. Mine is a 2000 OBW.

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Whoops. I forgot I did that last summer.

Reply to
kaplan3jiim

I think that part of it will be your tolerance for a soft/mushy ride. I noticed that my '99 Outback started to lose it's firm stance at about 100k and I started looking at new struts and shocks. I've sorta put it as a low priority and may handle it when the weather cools off in the fall.

The car now has 126k miles and doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I could drive it indefinitly the way it is, but I would prefer the firmer ride.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

you should be due for your first wheel bearings any time soon.

My 95 Brighton, 233,000 km has had 3 replace in the last 60,000km

Reply to
Dominic Richens

I'd forgotten I did replace the right rear one a year ago.

Reply to
kaplan3jiim

Depends how you drive it. My old Loyale felt fine and had 165K on it. My new '97 Outback has a new engine, but the rest of the chassis has 200K on it. No problems except for the occasional torn boot and CV joint.

Reply to
Sheldon

We sold a 90 Legacy wagon last year with 267K miles with norunning gear problems other than front CV joints occasionally.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Heckman