Expected Hose Life - VR6 Engine

We are about to embark on a long trip with our 1999 VW Winnie Camper.

62,000 miles excellent condition, brakes and cooling system flushed (with correct replacement antifreeze) when we got it 30 months ago. Per information we got from the seller, it had 'all services' done to it for the warranty period and beyond to about 40,000 miles. THe warranty book supported this. We got it at 49,000 miles.

We are about to go on a long trip through the western mid-west to include about 2500 miles in total over 2 weeks, mostly the first and last two days. But some of this trip will be in emphatically remote areas far from VW dealers.

Do I shotgun the hoses and serpentine belt, or do I take my (very good) mechanic's word for "they look and feel fine"?

As an aside, we get 20+mpg with the thing on long trips - it can get out of its own way on the highway and has all the 'modern conveniences' such as airbags, anti-lock, traction control and AC that works. Add to that such things as a working refrigerator, stove, heater, auxiliary power and so forth - it is a far cry from our old Westie. Perhaps less 'romance' but the reliability quotient is off the charts by comparison.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

if he's that good, then why not take his advice? Personally, a 2500 mile trip isn't that big a deal... I did two 3500 mile trips in March/April with no problems other than seeing way too many crappy drivers.

Reply to
PeterD

Crappy drivers go with the territory. As my Texas State Trooper driving instructor used to say: Drive like the other guy's crazy.

Not so much the distance as the age of the vehicle. Were it just me, I would go the distance - but the trip includes the wife and the dog. They might think differently.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I guess I would listen to the mechanic if you trust him AND you trust your VW. You can always purchase the spare parts to have just in case.........and you WON'T need them! lol It seems like if you prepare for the worse, it never comes. ;-)

Have fun, be safe, and we are only an internet away! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Actually, that is probably what we will do. I have changed belts on these beasts on-the-fly, hoses and clamps don't take up much space, and it does carry 20+ gallons of water when 'fully loaded'.

I will need to remember to bring that 8mm bolt to loosen the tensioner... hmmmm....

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Bwa-ha-ha-ha... You're lost in that case! However, I've found that most of the time things don't fall apart on a long trip, and the things that do break are ones that you never anticipated breaking (like a front hub in a newer Dodge truck!)

Reply to
PeterD

Well like I said..........we are only a message away if you need us! lol