Ignition problems

I have a '95 Impreza. Sometimes, when I turn the key to turn the car on, nothing happens but a "click." It helps if I turn off electrical items if I left them on, e.g. lights, A/C, radio. If all else fails, I turn the wheel a bit. I don't know if the latter makes any difference at all. It may be the equivalent of throwing salt over your shoulder from spilling salt....

At any rate, what am I looking at? A new ignition switch? A starter?

TIA

Reply to
gbsmith

Edward Hayes

1)If you hear a click = no problem with the ignition switch, nor with the clutch pedal switch if it's a manual or the starter defeat switch if it's an auto. 2) If you hear a click and the starter does'nt turn over, than it's probably the starter's solenoid (just next to the starter motor) contacts. Then go to a starter rebuilder and buy the two copper contacts (2$ at most) for your starter solenoid (if you're a DIYer that is). No need to replace the starter most of the time. The starter motor itself is bullet proof and the carbon brushes almost never need replacing. To learn how to remove the starter and get at the contacts, buy a cheap Haynes manual for your car.
Reply to
Gilles Gour

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Mmmmm, before you really dig into the car's electrical system, do check the clutch switch. (If equipped with an AT, ignore me) My wifes Legacy had a similar sounding problem, which turned out to be that damned switch. Otherwise, suspect corroded battery terminals and/or cables, or a loose connection. Starter solenoid and ignition switch are also potential culprits. Starter is easily checked with a jumper wire; connecting large starter lug (battery +) to small terminal (solenoid) should crank the engine reliably. If you remove the starter (2 bolts), most auto parts stores can test it for you as well. Ignition switch can (I think) be replaced separately from the key/steering lock assembly, but is a PITA. Hope this helps.

ByeBye! S.

If you have a car alarm installed with an immobiliser it could be the problem.

Reply to
MIKE

Hi Steve! Just for the sake of argument, if it were the clutch switch or the ignition switch, there would be no current flowing thru the starter's relay and the starter's solenoid, and there would be no click heard.

Reply to
Gilles Gour

Nope, won't argue that point. Brain fade on my part; if the clutch switch is bad, you get nothing from the starter when you turn the key. You _might_ perhaps hear a tiny click from the fuel pump, ignition, or some other relay, but questionable whether you'd notice it in the cab. I just chased my tail around for soooo long trying to find the bad circuit on the Forester that it stuck firmly in my (failing, alas) memory :-P

ByeBye! S.