ignition key wont turn

HI I HAVE A 2001 FORD FOCUS AND WHEN I TRY TO START IT THE KEY GOOS IN BUT IT WONT TURN THE STEERING WHEEL IS IN THE LOCK POSSION ANY IDEAS ON WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT

Reply to
TSS1112

A bad ignition lock. Foci seem to suffer from this.

Reply to
Tony Wesley

You need a new lock. It has to be done by a dealer or locksmith since it needs to be set to your existing keys. Costs me a couple hundred $ including tow.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Go with the locksmith, not only will he be cheaper but will install a better quality lock. The locksmith might also come to your house, or where the car is parked, so you can avoid the cost of the tow. Scuttlebutt on the internet is the new Ford OEM redesigned locks are still failing.

You need a new lock. It has to be done by a dealer or locksmith since it needs to be set to your existing keys. Costs me a couple hundred $ including tow.

Reply to
Henri

Hi American foci seem to suffer from this. Never heard about this here in Germany. But our new friend with the malfunctionaly keyboard doesn´t tell us where he lives. If he´s from Europe or Asia, there could be a new problem. bye Jupp

Reply to
Josef Erbs

In message , Josef Erbs wrote

Different key style, therefore different locks in Europe.

Reply to
Alan

Alan schrieb:

Hi corret, I know that. I only wanted to point out that it would be helpful to tell where someone lives when posting a problem that is not the same everywhere. bye Jupp

Reply to
Josef Erbs

To be precise the ignition switches defect is related to the quality of the pins in the cylinder lock. They are made of Brass. When the ware on the pins exceed the tolerance needed to turn lock the lock will not turn.

In the mean time incert the key in the lock strike the key a couple of times that should set the pins so you can turn the key.

I am on my second ignition lock which has also failed. I just leave a key in the ignition all the time and carry a second key to unlock the car.

Reply to
John R Cambron

The second one that was installed by the dealer has infact failed.

I just leave the key in the lock and carry a second key to get in the car.

Reply to
John R Cambron

"John R Cambron" wrote

This is actually illegal in some places, but what I do is squirt in lock lubricant (not regular oil, which attracts dirt) a couple of times a year. This used to be part of normal auto maintenance.

Reply to
Dave Gower

When was it part of normal auto maintenance to squirt lock lubricant into the ignition lock?

I do not know of any one who does this and should not have to any how.

I have many old car manuals/service manuals both domestic and imported and no where can I find any reference to putting lock lubricant into the ignition lock as being part of normal car maintenance.

Me thinks you are "BSing" us.

"John R Cambron" wrote

This is actually illegal in some places, but what I do is squirt in lock lubricant (not regular oil, which attracts dirt) a couple of times a year. This used to be part of normal auto maintenance.

Reply to
Henri

I was surprised to notice my key was oiled after a couple of uses. This only means the ignition lock has some kind of lubricant in it as the key was perfectly clean when I received it.

-Nick

Reply to
Nick the Greek

John R Cambron schrieb:

Hi that´s a very bad idea. When your car gets stolen, the insurance will not pay a dime. That´s for Germany, I think that is the same way in most other countries. bye Jupp

Reply to
Josef Erbs

My car has over 200,000 mile on it, my insurance company will not pay much more then a dime anyway. The Ford Focus is not that high on stolen car scale, and I don't travel to areas and park my car long enough for the risk to be that high.

Reply to
John R Cambron

"Henri" wrote

Heh. You're so crabby and negative I'm not surprised your circle is limited.

Reply to
Dave Gower

"Nick the Greek" wrote

Lubricating exterior locks has long been standard practise, but the ignition lock has often been done both at the factory and by conscientious technicians. It isn't needed everywhere, depending on climate. Greece is probably included because of dry dusty conditions.

Reply to
Dave Gower

John R Cambron schrieb:

Hi it might be bad enough if some kids smash your Window, get into the car and get away with it. Some miles later they may drive into a group of people, hit a bus or do some other damage to other property or health.

I don´t know what your mind is going to tell you when something like that happens because you left your key in your car. bye Jupp

Reply to
Josef Erbs

The odds of such a scenario to happen is so low that I laugh at this comment.

Reply to
John R Cambron

"" wrote: > Josef Erbs wrote: > > > > John R Cambron schrieb: > > >  > > My car has over 200,000 mile on it, my insurance > company will not >  > > pay much more then a dime anyway. The Ford Focus is > not that high >  > > on stolen car scale, and I don't travel to areas and > park my car >  > > long enough for the risk to be that high. >  > >

I was looking for info on my Focus when I saw this question. I had the ignition problem with my 2000 focus. I was at the store when it happened and since I have AAA plus I called them figuring they would have to tow me to Ford but they informed me I have locksmith service and they sent that guy and he fixed it on the spot with a much better one all free of charge under my AAA service so that was a load off my mind about paying for another repair on this car.

Reply to
acraftylady

Here is a cut and paste from another thread: First of all, a correction: it's a 2003 ZX5. I Googled "Ford Focus ignition" and found, literally, dozens of sites with postings from angry owners. I found some that are on their third ignition. Interestingly, many people report having tow operators say the same thing about towing many Foci with broken ingnitions. I wonder which dealer in the country HAS seen this problem before? In my research, Ford has never acknowledged the problem or issued a Technical Service Bulletin regarding it (however, I did find TSBs covering my broken windshield wipers and horn). I'm considering taking this up with the consumer unit of the local television station to see how many cases of this obvious defect it stirs up. I'll keep the group posted.

Reply to
rufus20