Intermittened Check Engine light ... 2005 Forester

... well continuation of my saga ... the Check Engine light will stay off

1/2 a day then will go on for 1/2 a day ... what can be the cause?
Reply to
coaster

I re read your original post and can't find where you listed a trouble code.

~Brian

Reply to
Brian

A lot of things. You need to get the codes pulled at Autozone (or similar).

Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Code may be stored in memory. Might be a good excuse to drop $100 at Wal Mart for an ODBII scanner. Or a trip to Auto Zone when it's not busy for them to read it.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

-- original post --

I'm gonna agree with Todd and say this may be a good excuse to drop some money on a code reader, or find a place that is willing to help you out. I am not from Australia, so I can't make any recommendations where to go, but surely you have an auto parts store that you could start with?

~Brian

Reply to
Brian

Keep in mind that if you get an inexpensive code reader it will be cheaper than taking it to a dealer to have the code read. They charge you to read the code, and then charge you to fix the problem. On an intermittent problem the code is usually held in memory that the code reader can find even if the light isn't on.

Reply to
Sheldon

Remember this: a code is a symptom, not a diagnosis. You go to a Dr. with a fever, he has to use his knowlage to figure out the cause. the same with (most) codes

Reply to
StephenW

But reading the code yourself is still a fine idea. If you feel feverish, it's generally a good idea to take your temperature before you make the decision to see your doctor about it.

Reply to
L. Ross Raszewski

I agree ;) But part of the reason Parts houses read codes is to hopefull get you to buy a part, and in some cases the code is telling a story. The one thing I know is that if you have a knock sensor code on a subaru, replace the knock sensor. (o2 heater codes are cut and dried also)

Reply to
StephenW