Is the 02 WRX a dud???

Hey, all...

I'm coming to the end of my lease for an 02 WRX wagon.

I'm assessing whether I want to buy it out or let it go.

I've been through the clutch shudder fiasco with this car, to the tune of 3 clutch replacements over a several-month period (clutch shudder, followed by the release bearing giving out altogether, followed by the 'noise on deceleration' problem) The shudder and decel noise are both issues I've read about on the NASIOC forums.

I've just gone through the 'warranty denied' section of the forums, and even though the most recent post is quite recent, there's an inordinate number of postings regarding the 02 WRX.

I've also been having first gear synchro issues, and I'm about to go meet the regional service rep to discuss the matter. The dealer has already used the 'abuse' accusation, although they have never stepped foot in my car while I'm driving.

So... is the 02 a dud, or what? Is it just me, or are there an inordinate number of issues with the 02 WRX?

BD

Reply to
BD

Hey BD,

The clutch shudder problem has happened to me as well. It usually occurs when the weather is bad. It only happens when releasing the clutch into first. Try lowering the RPMs to right above the stall point or revving to more than 2500 RPM, then release the clutch. That's how I get around the shudder. The clutch problem only happens for the first few stop-n-starts on my '02 WRX Wagon. Good luck.

P.S. A new or almost new Honda/Toyota/Kia will cost the same as your WRX Wagon, depending on how many miles you put on it.

Jesse Campbell

Reply to
Jesse

Actually, the clutch shudder ain't the problem anymore. After the 3rd change, I got one that's worked fine from that point.

Problem now is ... well, I was gonna say the synchros, but I'm thinking it actually might be me that's the problem.

Had the regional service manager come by and take it for a spin. He found no problem. Tried to replicate the issue of first gear grinding, and could not.

After we decided it wasn't going to happen, I took off, and promptly got first gear to grind from a full stop. Clutch went in, I put the shifter in, and BZZZZT! it slammed in.

I wonder if I'm just not giving enough time between when I put the clutch in, and when I put the shifter in. I dunno.

Reply to
BD

that's possible, i do that once in a while when i'm tired. that grinding noise happens from neutral to any gear if you don't push the clutch pedal all the way down and then try to shift.

Reply to
Jesse