02 WRX Tune-up

I have an 2002 Subaru WRX with 62,000 miles. I want to get the 60k service done, but I don't want to pay $1,000. I am not saying my car is not worthy of me spending $1,000 to service it, but I think there is a less expensive way.

I am quite handy for a girl...I have changed spark plugs in my 84 Chevy C10, my 92 Talon TSi AWD, and my 91 R/T Twin Turbo Stealth. To be honest, I have no clue where the sparkplugs are on my Subaru. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find some pictures and a how-to on changing the plugs on the Subaru. I have read several people's instructions, but I like pictures. When I had my Stealth I found Jeff Lucias site to be VERY helpful.

I am looking for something like that for the Subaru. Also, I haven't actually had the dealer break down each thing they do for the 60k service by price. I know all they do, I just don't know what each thing would cost individually.

Would it be cheaper and more sensable to go to a quick lube place to get the fluids changed?

There is an import shop in Joplin, MO called Sharps that I have used in the past for my Talons and my Stealth.

Also, should I go w/ Platinum or Iridium plugs?

Thank you in advance. I have owned my Subaru for 3 days shy of a year. I miss my Stealth dearly, but I do not regret buying the Subaru...just trading in the Stealth and not buying the Subaru outright.

Reply to
Carol

$1000? That is WAY too much to be paying for any service, even a major one. Dealers will usually inflate the list of services they want to perform, in order to boost their bottom line and empty your pocket. Typically they will include things like fuel system and engine flushes that are not required or recommended by Subaru. What you should do, is take the service schedule that is in your owners manual, or print it out from Subaru's web site, and bring that to the dealer. Show it to them and insist that they perform ONLY the services shown with no additions or embellishments. See what the cost is then. If it's still unreasonable, leave and try another dealer or an independent shop, or if you have the proper tools and basic skills, along with a place to work, you can do much if not all of the work yourself. If you do choose to use an independent shop, just be sure that they are familiar with Subarus and have experience working on them as there are some differences between them and most other cars. Whatever you do, avoid the quick-lube places like Jiffy Lube at all costs! They have been known to make very expensive mistakes such as stripping drain plugs, draining the engine and filling the trans (and vice versa) and so on, resulting in major damage to customer vehicles. Go to a shop that does more than just fluid changes and employs real mechanics who know what they are doing. As for the spark plugs, they are on the side of the engine. Access is a bit tricky but not impossible for the DIY'er as long as you have the right tools. It does help to remove a couple of things for access such as the washer bottle and airbox, and you'll need to remove the coil pack that is on each cylinder over the plugs. As long as your car is stock and not modified it's best to use the OEM platinum plugs in the correct heat range. For additional info and DIY procedures, check on the forums at

and

mulder

Thanks for the advice. I have to be a member to see the pictues at scoobymods and I didn't sign up last night because it was late and I wanted to sleep.

I did get the list out of my owners manual, and those are the services they want to perform. I think the most expensive part is changing the plugs.

The shop I use is for import vehicles and they seem to be decent as far as price and knowledge. I am going to call them today and see what they will charge.

I am fully aware of the Jiffy Lube price hike...I asked how much an oil change with Mobil 1 would be in my Stealth and they quoted me the normal price. I got the oil changed and they added coolant, checked the diff fluid and charged me out the ass for the oil. The final price was $60. I refused to pay it because they mis-quoted and they let me go for the price they quoted me. I am stubborn and refuse to get taken advantage of. (not to say it has never happened, but damnit I learned...)

Thanks again!

Reply to
Carol

try this too;

and
has some stuff. There are also 'stickies' and other info at

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan