Just bought '04 Forester

We just took delivery of our new Forester XS in our driveway. Salesman was nice enough to get it into make-ready, then drive it out to the house when it was ready.

Hard to sit here at the computer when that pretty baby is sitting out there, but dinner calls, and I thought I would ask this group one question. Where is a good source (online) to buy accessories, mud guards, bumper guards, cargo nets, etc.

I've been lurking here for several weeks as we debated the new car, and I've seen several suggestions/tips on buy such stuff fly by. At the time, I was more interested in how to get the best deal, figured I'd leave the accessories until I actually had one. I got the best deal I could have imagined, buying on the next to last day of the month when sales have been a bit down!

Now that we've got it, does anyone around the group have a favorite source? I particularly want cargo net(s) and that rear "divider" or tray or whatever they call it. Lots of good stuff, but they suggest I come back and buy it from their parts department. Uh huh, okay, if there's no better source, I 'll do that. laro

Reply to
no mas panzon

'02 Forester Part of my sales persons "deal clincher" was to offer accessories from the parts dept at "employee discount". Apparently the employees don't get a great discount :-) But I was able to buy the two accessories I purchased to date (hood deflector, arm rest extension) at least as cheaply as I could find at any online Subaru parts place (after shipping and handling were factored in).

Others will probably point you to those distributors.

Don't forget to register at MySubaru web site.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Forsha

just my opinion, but you may have Been better off to get the items included in your purchase.. i got everything i wanted for invoice price.

cant beat that with no shipping nor installation charge and no dirty hands do9ng it myself.

Mike

P.S. i did buy and install a trailer hitch mysElf.... mental lapse caused me to forget i might want one :)

'''''

Reply to
Michael P. Smith

Reply to
Sammy Lee

I always look first on eBay. One of the best bargains that shows up there quite regularly is the plastic floor liner for the cargo compartment. That appears to fit both the 2003-04 and the earlier Foresters. You do have to be careful about items from the earlier Foresters to be sure they fit the newer ones, since there were some significant body changes starting at 2003.

Remote locking fobs show up there quite regularly too. Go by the picture, not the description, to ensure that you get the right kind. Aftermarket moonroof wind deflectors are quite frequently listed, and at a reasonable price. Perfect fit. Maintenance manual CD-ROMS. Xenon "HID-like" lamps. LED lamp replacements. I've seen an occasional cargo net.

Reply to
BBB

The cargo liner from earlier models "fit" in the 2003 body, but it leaves a gap between the liner and the back seat's seatback. But, hey, for $20 (including shipping), I can live with the gap.

-R.

Reply to
Richard Chang

I thought that was a design feature! At less than 2 inches, it's just anough room to store an umbrella between the liner and the seatback. If I had bought a genuine 2003 liner direct from the dealer and it ended up with that same gap, I'd just figure that this is the way it was supposed to be.

Agree: "*But, hey, for $20 (including shipping), I can live with the gap."*

Reply to
BBB

Texas in the USA

Reply to
no mas panzon

Umbrella, eh? Well, mine has that umbrella safely stored in its own compartment in the floor of the cargo compartment, just behind the seat backs! Or that was what the salesman TOLD me that little door was for?

Maybe the 2 inch gap was to leave access space for that little door?

Okay, so far all of the suggestions point me to eBay. I've never played on that, been afraid I'd get on and, like Las Vegas, leave wearing a barrel.

but thanks for the ideas, guys. I'll have to give it a shot.

Any more suggesti> > > >

Reply to
no mas panzon

My tongue was in my cheek when I suggested storing an umbrella in the gap between the floor liner and the seat back. The distance is so small that I never even noticed (or cared) that it wasn't flush up against the seat.

Yes, the salesman pointed out the official umbrella compartment to me too. Struck me as useless for its intended purpose. I'm not about to get out of my Forester in the pouring rain, walk around back, open the lift gate, rearrange cargo, and lift up the floor liner (it truly does completely cover the umbrella compartment) to get to my umbrella. I have a collapsing one, and I keep it under the front passenger seat. I store my folding emergency triangle in the umbrella compartment and will use it if I have any other long skinny things that need being kept in the car.

I don't know whether you've noticed, but some if not all of those molded compartment sections can be removed if you have a really big load to carry. I discovered this when doing some wiring in the back.

Reply to
BBB

HA! Good one. I too thought the guy was ???? when he told me the "purpose" of that little door and I pictured getting out and walking around to the back to get the umbrella. In the rain. And thanks for the tip about removing some of the molded compartment sections n the rear. I'll keep that in mind.

Reply to
no mas panzon

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Okay! That's what I use my umbrella for, down here! :-)

Reply to
no mas panzon

I use that spot for summer storage of my snow brush and ice scraper - it fits perfectly.

Reply to
dgcam55

They just make 3-4 grand on the new car and 2 - 3K on your trade in in a bad economy (even MB is discounting interest charges) and didn't loose money selling you a few extra parts. Try getting a 10 pack CD changed at cost.

Reply to
Mike B.

Mike B. If my post read like I was saying I got a great deal, that was not the intent. "no mas panzon" in his post was asking about buying a few "basic" accessories for his new Forester. I still suggest that the shortest road to getting those accessories might be to go back to his dealer and ask for consideration on the pricing. I used the "employee discount" (not "at cost") offered to me as an example.

To emphasize my point. I found a receipt from my Subaru dealer for a set of heavy duty floor mats I also bought after the sale. List $65.20 Net (my price) $49.95 + Tax = $52.70 Total

Price from one of the on line parts places (SubaruParts.com). Heavy Duty Rubber Floor Mats Unit Price $41.24 (hey that's less than I paid ...hmmm) Plus UPS Ground Shipping $15.95 (least expensive offered) Total $57.19 That's more than I paid (phew!!).

It's possible others will say I could have gotten this item cheaper somewhere else, and I welcome that information. So would "no mas panzon" I am guessing. I still have a whole shopping list of things I want to buy.

Finally I hope you are over estimating the thousands and thousands of dollars the dealer made at my expense. Up until now I was thinking I got a pretty good deal.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Forsha

Bad news, Ed and dgcam:

I just tried my snow brush and ice scraper and the scraper is about 3" wide, won't fit. I tried my umbrella and it is about 1" too long. And my wife paled at my suggestion that I cut off 1" from the handle. (maybe they've reduced the size of the formerly adequate umbrella compartment!)

Now I've got to try the break-down fishing pole...

Reply to
GTT

Tom, I got your point.

And there is no way the dealer made any money off my trade-in, OR interest because there were neither involved in my deal. And I really doubt he made over $1K on my car, either. And as to whether it was a "good deal" for me, I don't know. I doubt anyone does but the accountant at the dealer's shop.

And you ARE correct: I'd welcome any additional information as to where to buy accessories below retail cost (incl. shipping)...

I do appreciate all the input thus far. Hope there's more out there.

Reply to
GTT

A better source for Original OEM Subaru parts and accessories is:

Cheaper than from a dealer.

Reply to
Bob Tuttle

Why, Thanks! I'd about given up on that thread, hoping to get a great source of parts that was a bit below dealer prices.

Reply to
GTT