Legacy Gearbox

Hi all,

I have a 97 MY Legacy 2.0 GTB Ltd Auto Estate. It has 135,000 Miles and a full service history. Serviced every 7,500 miles from new.

When I drive from cold the car starts off ok but on slowing down it judders badly and makes a clunking noise, then stalls. On restarting if you try to select D the car stalls, however, let it warm up for 10/15 mins it drives fine.

Dealer has told me gearbox is U/S and a matter of time before catastrophic failure.

Any second opinions ?

Regards

Rob

Reply to
Rob

It sounds like the lockup torque converter is not unlocking when it is supposed to. This is the equivalent of not releasing the clutch on a manual trans when slowing down in gear, the engine will shudder and stall. The problem could be the converter itself, or just a bad control solenoid. Is the AT warning light on? Even if it isn't, the TCU (trans control unit) should be checked for stored trouble codes that may help pinpoint the problem. Of course I'm just guessing here but that's where I'd look.

Reply to
mulder