need a replacement seat

98 Legacy L, auto, cloth charcoal seat on the driver's side has seen better days. I'm in central Cal and the local wreckingsalvage yards are looking for me but no one has a car that I can pull a seat from. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Djay

Reply to
djay

Can you swap with passenger side? Sometimes there are airbags in the seat bolsters or motorized tracks/adjusters that prevent it.

The other thing would be to post a WTB (want to buy) on nasioc.com and ultimatesubaru.org and other sites in addition to here.

good luck

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Not the cheapest solution but often better than the same-worn seats you'd get at the salvage yard would be to call the local car upholstery shops and ask what they would charge. Mine were running about $160 for the seat and the same for the back. Not cheap but not as expensive as getting a new seat. You need to ask them if they can actually match the cloth in your year and model. They couldn't for me which would mean having to find a close match and do both front seats (which I didn't do and decided to keep on using my old worn seat which has no holes but just has wear from my butt and some fading since my car is always outside, and I have a timing belt replace coming soon and need the money for that).

Reply to
VanguardLH

I have a set of gray leather seats that will fit your car. Heated too. Cost 2X to ship 'em over what I'd want for them, tho; not really a good option. I'd suggest that you spread out your search a bit, surely there's a salvaged Soobie _somewhere_ within a reasonable distance with decent seats. Seat from '95 thru '99 (anyway) will fit. Earlier Legacy seat will bolt in as well, but the seat-belt arrangement is different, and will require some creativity to get things working. Also don't overlook the possibility of a good seat in the wrong color; slip on a quality seat cover and you're good to go. Sheep-skins are very comfy in all climates . . . Also, look for a drivers seat with the (I don't know what to call it) retractable lever at the front, as this allows a great deal of adjustment over the plain-jane version. BTW, swapping passenger side to drivers side will not be a trivial undertaking, if possible at all.

ByeBye! S.

I was checking this out for my son's 95 Legacy as the seat cloth is torn and faded but settled on an NFL team seat cover, which he was fine with. It's really worth avoiding putting a lot of money in something like that.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Call the dealer and ask for the price for a set of replacement covers. They werer always available from Toyota years back so I suspect they should also be available from Subaru.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Generation 3 seats will work. Need to retain the original seat belts. I have LL bean seats from a 2002 installed in my 95 wagon. One seat bracket is slightly different and just one bolt hole is not used. The 02 brackets have an extra bolt hole your car does not have. Good for the Limited or Bean seats. Your backside will thank you.

Reply to
johninky