Outback electrical problem

Have the battery and charging system 'tested' with a load box. Autozone will usually do that at no charge(no pun intended). You may have a starter that is going bad or a weak battery. Wouldn't hurt to examine the battery cables at BOTH ends.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I have a 2001 Outback Wagon with 57k miles on it. The battery is about a year old.

This morning, I got in the car and the clock/odometer were fine (displaying). When I turned the key, everything died, including the clock/odometer/map lights.

I tried to jump it with my wife's car, but even after connecting the battery and running her car, I had no power to the lights and clock (nor could I start it).

I disconnected the battery, cleaned the terminals, and re-attached it. This time the car started fine, I ran it for a minute or two and turned it off.

Left to grab my wallet and when I came back and attempted to start it again, same problem, all electrical systems died and the car did not start (nor did it crank).

Am I "resetting" something by disconnecting the battery? Has anyone see thins symptom before and do you have any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks for any assistance!

Reply to
Matt Fischer

Next time you jump it, try hooking the negative to the engine's body (find a beefy part to hook it to). If it now starts, your ground connection is having a problem somewhere (could be battery to frame or frame to engine).

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Sounds like yoru jump technique is poor. Also try buying a battery charger and doing an all night trickle charge.

Reply to
dnoyeB