Replacing timing belt on `01 OBW

Hello all,

A friend of mine, former service manager for the subaru dealership, has offered to perform my 90,000 Subaru recommended service for me personally at a significantly less charge than that of the dealership. The dealership charges around $750 for the service. Even if this guy charges $300-$400 it'd be worth it. He's a computer customer of mine too so I do trust him and his knowledge. When talking with him, he made mention that Subaru recommends changing the timing belt at 105,000 mi OR 5years. Being that my OBW only has 89,200 mi on it he suggested replacing it now while the engine is partially lifted to perform the 90k service.

I saw on advanceautoparts.com that there are a few timing belts there for my vehicle varying from a Goodyear timing belt at $41.99 upto a AE Clevite Timing belt at $129.99. What are the recommendations when purchasing one? What about sparkplugs? Are there any performance differences of the vehicle when using different branded plugs? Some plugs offer copper cores. Others have the "V" shaped ends that advertise greater/longer spark. Others offer extreme performance, high performance, etc. Will any of these give me a few extra HP to give the car a bit more 'pep' when going up a mountain? I don't mind paying a bit more for this if it legitimately gets a few extra HP out of the engine. Otherwise if it has such little or no performance impact at all, then I don't see a reason for the high cost.

Thoughts or suggestions on this?

Brad

Reply to
Bradley Walker

TRy

for an OEM belt. They are a dealership that offers discounted Sube parts on the Net. Jamie (Subiegalracing) is the contact there if you want to email her about sparkplug recommendations. Don't expect a performance increase other than new plugs will be unworn of course. Platinum or iridium will last longer, but probably not 'perform' better than copper.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Thanks for the advice. I plan on doing plug changes every 30k simply because I want my vehicle to last and be a good car. I also plan on having the air filter, oil filter, cabin air filter and several other items changed out entirely. Am I missing anything else that I should touch base on about replacing? Good idea on the waterpump, I hadn't thought of that.

Brad

Reply to
Bradley Walker

Don't tell Jamie I said this, but you can get a home A/C filter and cut it up to make your own cabin air filter - that thing is $$$. check

for instructions on changing it(IIRC). After you see it

- you will likely be able to fashion an acceptable one yourself. If you're ordering from Jamie anyway - take a look at touch-up paint and maybe some of the accessories like cargo nets, etc. Though I got my net on Ebay for 1/3 new! w00t! I've read sometimes a local dealership might match an online dealers prices.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan