Scraping noise in rear

I have a '96 Legacy Outback 2.5L AT with 90k miles that has just started making a rubbing, scraping sound in the right rear during left-hand turns. The noise is there for virtually any kind of turn; e.g., turning from one street into another. Applying either the foot brake or the parking brake has no effect on the noise.

It sounds a lot like a tire rubbing a fender but no such contact is evident. Tires are stock size and have been on the car since 57k. In trying to determine the cause, I found the rear disc brakes to be 90% worn so I have replaced the rear brakes and turned the rotors, but the noise is still there.

I suspect the noise must be either in the wheel bearing or outer CV joint (CV joint boots are all intact). Has anyone experienced this type of noise and found the cause?

TIA

Ed P

Reply to
Ed P

Dunno, but this subject has Rodney Dangerfield in my head saying "Whoa! Sounds like you should see a proctologist."

"I get no respect though... my proctologist used to work for Roto Rooter!"

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

You might check out the wheel bearing as well.

Reply to
Henry Paul

I had same noise - occured only when turnin - was the reas transfer clutches in differential - Cost $1200 to fix $600 per side

Reply to
russell

Reply to
russell

You say transfer clutches in differential -- was this a limited slip differential?

Ed P

Reply to
Ed P