STI

Hi, first time here and I no very little about Subaru's except the STI's are an amazing car to drive. After my test drive at the dealer I put my 5.0 stang up for sale. On the STI's are there anything I need to be aware of, special requirements, like oil, synthetic or regular. Is there anything on the car that is prone to repairs? I saw that head gaskets go out and is a common occurrence. Is that true on these models? Any help or inside info would be great...

thanks

-Joe

Reply to
tinasguy

READ READ READ here and in other groups... TONS of info, some you need to hear..some you dont want to hear..... Your 302 Mustang was a HELL of a lot more "Bulletproof" than a Subaru.

Reply to
Eric Cartman

And be sure to read the rest of "Eric's" posts.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Welcome.

Overall they're pretty reliable. Watch out for it coming with summer tires, though, that you may need to switch soon if you live anywhere that actually gets a decent winter. For me the only issue that wasn't obvious from the test drive is you need to be careful because there's not much ground clearance at the front: a badly designed ramp from a gas station down to the road will scrape the (fortunately plastic) ground effects if you don't take it easy.

I don't regret buying my '04 STi at all: it's the first car that I have positively enjoyed driving. Someday I'd like a performance car with more storage space, but I can wait a few years to see if a Forester STI Limited or suchlike comes out in the US. (-:

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

I bought an 04 STi and never regretted it. It offers the best combination of power, braking and handling of any car I've ever owned. I've had a bunch of hi-perf cars from an original 64 GTO to a 350HP Chev II to a 425 HP corvette to an M6 etc. The fact that it has 4-doors and can carry four people is a plus!

Now it is perfect - no. The interior noise level is WAAAAY to high but can be helped a lot with different tires and some additional sound insulation. It also tends to develop interior rattles which can be very annoying but are fixable. I do nothing special for maintenance other than regular oil changes.

My dealers (I have moved) have been great including the replacement of a battery and rear struts and end links on warranty.

In summary, I love this thing. I looked at the EVO but the dealers kept going bankrupt and were a PITA - I could not get a test drive.

Reply to
Jim Sanchez

They do recommend synthetic oil. I have had my 04 since it ws brand new, it is high mileage, and it is bulletproof. They are noisy and a bit brutish, but that is what I bought it for. If I wanted a quiet, luxurious ride I would have bought a Jag or somehting like it

Reply to
JD