First Time Buyer

I finally drove a SAAB today from a used car dealer. (1989 2 Door Turbo ) I must say that it handled very well and i am very interested in buying. A very intriguing car it may motivate me to start turning wrenches again. Since I have never owned a SAAB before , What should I be on the lookout for. I was so wound up while driving it I forgot to write down the mileage, but it ran and drove very nice for a fifteen year old car. The automatic transmission shifted smooth and I could definitely feel the turbo do its job this was also my first experience with a turbo vehicle. Well they want $1595 and since this is my first experience with A SAAB any advise will be gladly accepted. Thanks

Reply to
randyJG

Buy one ;-)

Reply to
indecisive

AS with any used car, get it checked out by an experienced SAAB technician before you buy. The Classic Saabs handle very well in the snow as well. This is a used car dealer, so ask about a warranty.

Good Luck with the Saab!

Reply to
ma_twain

The main Saab advice I have is avoid the automatic transmissions, especially with a turbo, not only do they have some reliability issues but they add to the lag and seem to sap up all the real power the turbo produces. A 5 speed is the only way to go with those.

Aside from that, just the usual stuff, rust, body damage, unusual noises, particularly clunking while accelerating in a sharp turn, electrical accessories that don't work, oil leaks, etc.

Reply to
James Sweet

This is the best advice. Go to an expert.

Avoid Automatics non service history vehicles

check trunk area where rust can be found at the lower corners hood inner lip behind badges and inner front lip

pops out of reverse or third gear on manual transmissions - that is a synchromesh problem and can cost the price of the car

if the rear end wobbles around the corners then it needs new bushes - not too expensive if the body's nice -

head lining sag - not a big deal to replace

window winding motors - bad design - "a feature not a fault"

good luck,

Peter Watson

Reply to
Peter W Watson

Thank you all for the advise so far. As with most vehicles automatic transmissions are always an issue. I guess my best bet is to talk the price down.

One issue concerning the transmission is when parked on a slight grade vehicle rows in park, had to set the parking brake. I was glad to know rear brakes were good.

As with any vehicle I do most of the work myself, I am a Journeymen Toolmaker with access to machinery to make special tools and my Father is a transmission mechanic. So I am able to get myself out of a fix.

Randall

Reply to
randyJG

You're not missing anything. It's just a car like all the others. Nothing special about it.

Reply to
Ximian

Huh? Whether one loves them or hates them, I can't think of many mass produced cars more unique than a Saab 900.

Reply to
James Sweet

When was the last time you saw your doctor?

Reply to
Ximian

Thanks for your interest, but the position of troll in this group has already been filled. We'll contact you if an opening comes up.

Reply to
Dave Hinz