Stopping 05 OWB Seat Chime

I reported yesterday that I had successfully stopped the chime on my 06 Tribeca, but I was wrong. This morning, it started up again. I will try a few more times. I always use the seatbelts but I just want to be able to turn it off at certain times. When I turn into my driveway, I unbuckle my belt and it is annoying to have it chime all the way to the garage before I put it into Park. I have a fairly long driveway.

Don D.

Don

The procedure says to turn the ignition "ON" and then connect and disconnect the seat belt 20 times. It then says "Turn the ignition system "ON" " again. Does this mean start the car or what?

Don D.

Don

Don, "ON" just means turn the key to that position...starting the car is not necessary in any step of this, I believe. Also, make certain you are clicking the seat belt clip all the way in each time...make it actually click and unclick. I have had folks tell me they neglected to do this, and this was a common problem.

I have had no problems using these very same directions on an '05 OB (previous car) as well as my new '06 Tribeca. My chime has been off for months. Not sure why everyone has so much trouble with these instructions, and I'm not sure what to do to make them clearer....let me know if you have suggestions!

-Karen in AZ-

Reply to
Karen in AZ

Karen,

You missed my point. You say to turn the key "ON" to start the procedure. After the procedure, you say to turn the key "ON" again. For the procedure, the key is never turned off, so why the step to turn the key on again. Check your step three. Why is it necessary? I was just wondering why you say turn the ignition on, when it is already on? I am only wondering if something was left out that required step 3.

Don D.

Don

OK read this carefully and then use your brain and think. Why would Subaru install such a useless and intricate system to disable a chime? How much would it cost the manufacturer to install such a system? If it were only a dollar think how much that would cost? Do you think that maybe just maybe if they wanted the ability to disable the system they would not have their techs clicking a seat belt twenty times. Take your car to Subaru and ask them to disable the chime. Do you think that might be easier than looking incredibly stupid on usenet? Let me make this even more clear. YOU ARE BEING TROLLED!

Reply to
normzauchin

OK stupid, so I am being trolled! I saw the post and there were "several" posters who claimed success with the procedure. I guessed that there might be some validity to the post. Car manufacturers have done stuff almost as complex in the past and I thought I would try. I am sure that you know everything, but you can't be very smart if you use AOL.

Don D.

Don

You are being trolled and I am stupid? Maybe you should check on that New Orleans property you bought yesterday. Also that Bridge in Brooklyn really isn't for sale.

I saw the post and there were "several"

As I asked you before, how would clicking a belt twenty times become "procedure" for a sophisticated manufacturer of automobiles? No matter how many posters claimed success don't you do any independent thinking? It is people like you snopes.com was created for.

I guessed that there might

And proved your gullibility.

Car manufacturers have done stuff almost as

I don't think so. When and where? And no urban legends please.

And thus became troll bait.

I am sure that you know

And could you explain the exact correlation between one's ISP and one's IQ? Only a moron would make such an assumption. And you my friend are truly a moron. Not only did you fall for a troll you then compound and advertise your stupidity by posting the above.

Reply to
normzauchin

People who simply accept lifes little annoyances are sheep.

Bob, I don't know for sure on the newer cars, but on the mid-late 90s models, the annoying chime is coming from a module called a "seat belt timer"; black, approx 2X3X1 inch, located on the panel below the steering column. Real easy to get to; remove a few screws and drop the panel. Simply un-plug the thing once you find it; plug it back in before selling the car to fluffy livestock.

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101

Don't do much embedded systems design, do you?

I'm assuming you're a troll, actually, but I'm answering anyway.

Do you own a modern Subaru? Have you read the manual? The procedure for changing the code on the remote is very similar to the one mentioned here for disabling the seatbelt chime, except that it involves approximately 50+ activations of the power lock switch.

It's people like you that owner's manuals were created for.

And you've just demonstrated your ignorance.

Oh, so you don't think so. I guess that settles it, then, since you are obviously an expert on all aspects of all design decisions of all manufacturers of all makes of automobiles.

1980s GM vehicles used to give up their codes after cycling the ignition switch umpteen times. Fords use a strange combination of "open door/close door/activate power locks" to change some setting, if I recall correctly. There's also the above mentioned code change method for the Subaru's, and similar methods to change other options, all documented in the owner's manual. Perhaps you should read one? This seatbelt thing seems like just an undocumented one. I'm going to try it on our `05 Legacy anyway.

And it must have worked, because here you are.

There really are much better choices for ISP for almost any place in the US. AOL also has built a reputation as a source of massive amounts of un-informed opinion posted to usenet as unassailable fact. Some people prefer to distance themselves from that reputation.

Ummm. Well. How about you pick up a manual for an `05 or `06 Subaru, take a look at some of the procedures for system setting in there, and get back to us? And maybe comparison shop some other ISPs in your area?

Or I've just been trolled myself. Whatever.

Reply to
sewiv

Wow Sandy, I couldn't have said it half as well.

Don D.

Don

Maybe that is because you possess half a wit.

Here is a post I made that you and the other moron maybe interested in. Or maybe not since I use AOL.

From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Newsgroups: alt.autos.subaru Subject: Re: Disconnect/Modify Seatbelt Beeper? Date: 8 Sep 2005 10:39:35 -0700

Tom Kelly wrote:

Ask your Dealer to show you the Tech. Service Bulletin on this issue.

Component Description:

  1. SEAT BELTS:FRONT:WARNING LIGHT/DEVICES Bulletin Number: 12 Bulletin Date: AUG 2004

Vehicle: 2005 Subaru Outback Summary: SEATBELT REMINDER SYSTEM DISABLEMENT. SUBARU TECHTIPS. *TT

Reply to
normzauchin

Sandy, you are absolutely correct; procedures to change the security system/keyless entry options on the modern Subaru's are very similar; turn the ignition on and off X times with the door open, then Y times with it closed . . . whatever. :-P

I'd never heard of this particular one before, but it sounds totally plausible in light of the above. Those of you who are having trouble getting it to work might try resetting the whole shebang by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a minute or two. Re-connect and try again. (This will often "fix" a locked-up CD player as well, FWIW.)(Also worth noting: Modern engine management systems "learn" based in part on your driving habits. We have found that at least the WRX cars will go into an "econo-mode" after some time driving around at "putt-putt" speeds, and it seems to take a minute or two of throttle abuse before the ECU realizes that you're serious 'bout that WFO command. For best performance at an autocross, or whenever you want to see max power/boost right off the line, reset the ECU as noted. True story.)

Normzauchin (is that a kind of squash, BTW?), you have adequately demonstrated your arrogance, and ignorance, You can crawl back into your hole now.

ByeBye! S.

Why don't you go over to the other idiot's house and play snap the seat belt? And what ever you do, do not read the tech bulletin on the subject. God forbid your ignorant ass should learn something by reading it. Oh and the comment about my name is just too clever. Do you also want to judge me by my ISP. Talk about ignorant and arrogant.

Reply to
normzauchin

Ahem - for further reading, I suggest;

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanx, I kinda liked it.

If you wish. Er, um, AOL _does_ have that reputation; and your posts do little to alleviate it. How's that?

Re. the tech bulletin, I don't have assess to this document. Why don't you post it for the less fortunate of us? Now that would be useful, and darn nice to boot. Certainly nicer than chiming in with the basically useless and abrasive shit you've spouted thus far. Some of us here at a.a.s. at least _try_ to be helpful. Sigh.

ByeBye! S.

Hello Mr. S

It sounded like it came from a twelve year old.

Oh really AOL does have that reputation, well duh. So let me understand what your mentality is. The Irish have a rep. for drinking. The Italians have a rep. for all being in the mob. The Jews are cheap. etc., etc. Do you buy into those stereo types also? Do you judge everyone you meet in the real world by their stereotypical "reputation." When I hear crap like you are spouting about AOL or any stereotype I assume I am dealing with a twelve year old or a fool or both. As to MY posts, may I quote you;

Normzauchin (is that a kind of squash, BTW?), you have adequately demonstrated your arrogance, and ignorance, You can crawl back into your hole now.

What does that say about you? I doubt if it says anything about your chosen ISP.

Yet you talk such a good game about information you do not have access to. I hope everyone on your ISP does not do that. You may get a rep.

Why don't

You know what, I would love to, but I got access to it from AOL. I am not sure if I am aloud to give out AOL content to people like yourself. They may have to shoot me. Actually I checked on all of the service bulletins before I bought my OBW. I thought that would be the smart thing to do. But what do I know I have AOL as my ISP.

Now that would be useful,

Yup nice, just the way I would want to be treated.

Certainly nicer than chiming in with the

As for useless shit, I have seen nothing posted by you that would be in any way construed as useful to this particular subject. As for abrasive, did I mention;

Normzauchin (is that a kind of squash, BTW?), you have adequately demonstrated your arrogance, and ignorance, You can crawl back into your hole now.

Some of

And just when is that. I have seen no evidence of anything helpful from you.

Just in the way of info. The OBW is my wife's car. Since I take responsibility for the care and maintenance of all family vehicles I stopped in here to see if there was something I was missing. From now on I think I will just lurk. For those of you who are Internet literate you will find the number of the service bulletin I was referring to in a post above. All service bulletins can be found on the net with just a little bit of trying. Bye. I am heading to more hospitable corners of the Internet.

Reply to
normzauchin

And just for reference, I tried it tonight and it worked perfectly.

I screwed up the first time, and did it too slowly, but the second time worked great. Now when you turn the key to "On" with your seatbelt off, it chimes 6 times then stops. Then it never chimes again. If you have your seatbelt on when you turn the key to "On" (which I almost always do), it doesn't chime at all, though the light on the dash flashes. Exactly the behavior I wanted.

In case anyone cares, here are my exact steps (`05 Legacy sedan, non-GT):

  1. Turn key to on, driver's seat belt not buckled.
  2. Wait for chimes to stop.
  3. Buckle and unbuckle seat belt 20 times, quickly. (This is best done with two hands, one for the tongue, one for the release button.)
  4. Leave belt buckled, start car.
  5. Shut off car, unbuckle, test.

As I said, I had to re-do it once.

Reply to
sewiv

Reply to
Karen in AZ

Don, sorry I read your post too quickly...I believe you can skip/ignore that step. Alternately, you might try actually "starting" the engine at that point. I have done both again today in the Tribeca and it still works for me. Worked in the '05 OB, too. I suspect it'll work in all the '06 models as well.

The actual Subaru tech manual only says: "Repeat fastening and unfastening the driver's seat belt 20 times within 30 seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. Enabling and disabling cutting [off] is done with the same operation. (The setting is changed for both the driver's seat and passenger's seat.)" At that point, I think you are done, it would seem. My version of the instructions is a culmination of several other folks' successful attempts at this, so perhaps less is more???

I still have a feeling that some folks are not actually connecting the fastener all the way to "click" before unclicking it. Also, one click/unclick combination is equal to one "time".

If I think of something else, I'll post it...for what it's worth.

Good luck, and keep us posted! -Karen-

Reply to
Karen in AZ

Sandy, glad to hear you were successful. I was beginning to think I had failed as a teacher :-)

Hopefully others can make good use of your version here. I might just steal it myself and post it (with your blessing), if this is the one that everyone likes!

Silence IS golden :-)

-Karen-

Reply to
Karen in AZ