Strange 'buzz' noise at speed (Outback wagon 2001)

Hi! My Outback wagon 2001 sometimes has a high-pitch buzzing noise that seems to be coming from just over my left shoulder when I am driving. It only occurs at speed (60 - 70 mph) and is dependent on the wind direction. Could this be a vibration in the weather stripping around the window (or roofrack or mirror mount, etc.)? If so, what is the easiest fix?

I removed the roofrack cross pieces which did not help.

Anybody else experience this? The noise is quite loud -- very bothersome.

Thanks,

earle

*
Reply to
Earle Jones

Shun Ju Hu

I tried all the stuff with the roof rack, too. However, the cause of the sound is the seal at the top driver's corner of the windshield. I isolated the offending portion of the windshield seal by covering the entire driver's side windshield gasket with a strip of duct tape while on a road trip. Drive a ways in wind conditions that you know are conducive to the noise. If there is no noise, starting at the bottom of the strip of duct tape, remove half of the tape. Drive some more. Repeat until the noise returns and you will have isolated the problem. A friend of mine who is a windshield installer added some sort of sealant/caulk under the gasket and solved the problem.

Reply to
David Crist