Subaru Dealer Stuffup

Sitting in my car after arriving home tonight in the middle of a storm here in Brisbane I noticed water running around the bottom of the A pillar at the front, behind the dash and then re-appearing near the drivers side kick panel and into the drivers footwell under the carpet. I then noticed the roof in that area (drivers a pillar) was quite soaked.

Further investigation shows one of the drain tubes was not reconnected above the driver between the two right hand side drains on the sunroofs and water has been pouring out into the roof lining since the last work was done in the roof area in about April (replaced the roof rail under warranty due to a crack in the middle support). The car has had a lot of work done in it's 18 month life in the roof area for rattles including a roof lining replacement.

The car is parked in the driveway at home on a slight downhill slope so when it was parked at home and it was raining it was draining under the carpet which wasn't noticeable as there is a floor mat in place over the top and it's only really been the last month when we've had any real rain since the last repair. It's parked undercover at work during the days.

I relocated the car before finding the problem to level it out and the water started draining down inside the b pillar (noticed as a wet patch appeared on a small part of the roof lining.

I had noticed a very slight smell in the car over the last few weeks but there was nothing to indicate a leak as when I came out in the morning the sun had been on it and any wet patches on the roof lining were not visible so it probably would have gone on for a while longer yet had it not been pouring so much when I arrived home and had I not put the umbrella in the back.

I rang the Subaru dealer before I found the problem and I'm taking it in tomorrow for them to look at but as the problem is now the incompetence of one of their staff and I assume not covered by Subaru under warranty (although I'm sure they will claim it through Subaru) I'm inclined to take it to another Subaru dealer and ask them to put it in writing that I brought the car in on this date and that upon inspection drainage hose xyz was not connected.

At this point in time I have

- A damaged roof lining that has water in it over the last 6 months

- Some surface rust on a bracket that holds on the front of the roof rail

- Water damage to the a pillar and it's wiring

- Possible but unlikely water damage under the dash as it appears to have gone straight down but there is some kind of computer in that kick panel area that could have suffered some damage to the connectors

- Stuffed carpet in the drivers footwell which is discolored and weakened and with the lining underneath that has fallen to pieces

- Stuffed floormat as the lining and part of the mat had soaked in water at times

- Possible damage to the drivers seatbelt area (which also houses a sensor for the side air bag and the seat belt pretensioner)

My main concern is long term damage and problems once the car is out of warranty due to the hidden leak and as the dealer is responsible that may try and say there is no damage to xyz and it doesn't need replacing.

As far as I'm concerned the dealer should be and I will be pushing for

- Replacing the roof lining

- Replacing the a pillar lining

- Replacing the carpet and underlay in the car

- Replace bracket above lining showing rust

Provide a written report and guarantee there is no damage to the set belt, set belt pretensioner, side air bag sensor, computer in the drivers footwell and other areas and accept responsibility for any failure of these modules that can be attributed to any kind of water damage.

I don't believe what I am asking is unreasonable at all, this is a $58,000 car on road and it's only 18 months old. The car is a 2003 Subaru Outback H6 Luxury. The dealer at this point will be un-named but are a largish Brisbane Subaru Dealer.

Any advice is welcome as I plan to tackle this situation tomorrow and demand it be sorted out. They already indicated it could be up to a week before I get the car back but with the roof lining and carpets to replace probably longer.

They claim to have no spare loan cars but we'll see what they come up with tomorrow, the salesman said they would help me out if I got stuck for a car but so far has not come good on his promise but we'll see what they do this time given the circumstances. Whilst I'll try and be reasonable over this I'm very pissed off at the whole thing because of some idiot who didn't check his work and missed something REALLY basic.

Looking at the pipe there is no way that it could have come loose because it goes between two connections and requires you to bend the pipe in the middle to get it to come loose so without the roof lining out there would be no way to do this.

Regards Matthew

Reply to
Matthew McDonald

Id be taking it back and threatening legal action unless they can offer you a $58,000 trade in value on a new car so that the matter can be dead and buried by all. Yours may have been a Friday afternoon build eh! Try and get away from this car before it gives you a coronary!

Reply to
Scotty

The dealer would be as foolish as you to give him his purchase price back after

18months of ownership. I agree the issues need to be rectified to a satisfactory outcome to the customer, but you're dreaming if you were to think that a thought of that nature would enter the same barometric pressure zone as the dealership.

Reply to
What The

Reply to
atec

All I can say is "Sure glad we got Lemon Laws" here in the States...cause his car falls into the classification as such, and yeah...he'd be getting a new one for it, courtesy of dealer/Subaru.

Reply to
CompUser

Well before you get "heavy" why not go back to the dealer and explain your concerns and reasons. If you keep your cool and be polite, mebbe they will want to keep your custom and make it 'right' or at least remedy the situation. If you back them right into a corner then they will just hand it over to the legal lads who will treat you with all the compassion of the "law" !! This should always be the first step, keep notes of 'who' and 'when'.

-- Regards ........... Rheilly Phoull

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

From my personal experience in dealing with infamous engine ping I can tell you this:

- Make sure you document all your conversation: Who did you talk to. When did you talk to that person. Date, time, place (in person at the dealership or over the phone) Short but precise description of your conversation You have to do it even for short conversations

- If within 3 to 4 times they (dealership) don't resolve the problem go straight to the manufacturer CSR (Customer Service Rep.) and in a short letter, like you did here, explain what happened. You have to have everything in written.

- Ask for name of Subaru rep. in your region. Make sure you meet with him/her in person.

- At the same time contact local BBB (Better Business Bureau here in USA or Canada) or Lemon Law office for your state/province. Here is an example what are you looking for:

- At your meeting with Subaru representative mention that your are exploring legal options thru more then one legal institution. Find their names and mention it.

- Try not to lose your temper. This will cost you significantly. These people are hard working people and like everybody they do not like to be treated like some low life. I like to bring them, for every visit I go to the shop, two dozen dough nuts. One dozen for the technicians and the other for the people at the counter. It cost me $12 Canadian and you don't know how far it can go as oppose to yelling.

Good luck.

Voja

Matthew McD>Sitting in my car after arriving home tonight in the middle of a storm

Reply to
Voja

And if they still stuff you around, show them a photo of a donut on a dick. ;-)

Reply to
Ken Oaf

How poor

Reply to
Nige

Another satisfied Subaru customer :-))

CDIHL

Reply to
KOSHER

Another reason not to use dealer service centres.

Reply to
BenOne©

Hey it wouldnt happen to be the dealers that start with 'W' and end in 'point'. We are in Brisbane as well. I drive a Y02 RS Imprezza and we went looking at a Liberty Wagon to upgrade. Admittedly we weren't in our after fives clothes but shorts and tshirt.

We were completely ignored by three staff members who were more interested in serving one other couple. so needless to say we walked out unhappy people. I think if I was to buy another Subaru I would return to Toowoomba. Their service is always A grade.

Reply to
martin foster

My ex boss was in town and driving around in his sons old beat up Holden Kingwood, he was actually seriously looking at bying a new BMW, he rocked up to the showroom in a polo shirt and nice jeans. The sales guy showed some interest but not much, when the boss walked up to teh counter and asked for help, the sales guy asked what he was currently driving. The boss said that he was in a kingswood at the time to make light of conversation, the sales guy turned to him and said " Well sir I dont think that we have any cars here that would suit you", absolutely flabergasted the boss turned around walked out and went down the road to another BMW dealer and as soon as he walked in he was offered a coffee, told that a sales person would be there soon, two sips of the coffee later a sales chappie came out of the lunch room and offered help. When he was told that the boss was looking for a new car he walked away (with the boss thinking here we go again) and soon afetr returned with the full keyboard for every car on the lot, he then asked which car he would like to drive first and an hour later the boss was driving back to the first dealer to gloat about his new purchase, a brand new 7 series. The guy almost fell over he reckons. Serves the snod right.

Reply to
Scotty