Subaru new car distribution. Info needed.

Can someone enlighten me as to how the new car distribution system works? I went to my local dealer the other day, and presented him with a requirements list on an '05 Forester XT Premium (auto xmsn) in a specific color. The accessories I wanted were listed as being port installed or they could be dealer installed. He came back and said he checked his incoming list and the region dealers, but found nothing.

Once vehicles arrive at the port, how is it decided which dealer gets what? I suppose I could go online and check all the dealers inventory in CA and NV and then tell him what I found and where, but I have heard that dealers don't always want to transfer to another dealer. Any suggestions or information is appreciated.

Reply to
ZZ

I've followed this group for years and there's been 2 separate conclusions:

  1. You can order a car to your specification.
  2. You can only buy what's on the dealer's floor.

Sorry I can't be more helpful (:

If you really want to find out what the story is in your area, make a list of all of the Subaru dealers you'd be willing to buy from and call the sales manager at each one and ask if you can order your car.

Please let us know what you find out if you do.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Then ORDER the car you want. Depending on someone's current inventory only guarantees that you won't get the car you want. You'll have to wait a few weeks to get the car you want, but thats a small price to pay to get the car you want.

Reply to
Ragnar

I had the dealer search for my current Subaru 4 years ago. I set down with the general manager and went over what options I wanted on the car, and what colors I liked. He then got out SOA's list of options and their cost (in parts & labor) to have those options port installed, dealer installed, or installed after delivery. From there I was able to narrow down what options had to be port installed. In my case that was the premium sound and alarm system.

The only items I had dealer installed were the rear diff protector, and the pollen filter.

Although I did luck out. The last dealership >

Reply to
Aaron M