timing belt interval on 98 Impreza ?

I am trying to help a friend decide if she should replace the timing belt on a '98 Impreza (2.2L) with 70K miles.

My understanding has always been that the interval is 60K miles for the 2.2L engines. The online maintenance schedule (at

says it should be 60K for "Federal Specfication Vehicles", but 105K for "California Specification Vehicles". The vehicle was purchased in North Carolina, so I'd assume the "Federal" applies. But WHAT on earth would be the reason California vehicles have the same 105K interval for both 2.2L and 2.5L engines, while Federal vehicles have 60K and 105K respectively ?

Meanwhile, two different North Carolina dealers have told her that the interval is 105K miles, and they're presumably aware it's the 2.2L engine. And of course they'd tend to want her to think it's 60K anyhow.

I'm very confused.

Thanks, John

P.S. But I presume the 2.2L engine is non-interference for both Federal and California, so at least major engine damage is not a worry, right ?

Reply to
John Eyles

Edward Hayes