tough choice: '02 Subaru Outback vs '00 BMW 323i

Hi folks,

I know that I am posting this question on a Subaru newsgroup but hope to get some unbiased answers.

I am in the market for a used car and have narrowed down to two cars:

1) 2002 Outback H6 3.0 VDC Sedan $19,500 37K miles Default warranty Options include: roof rack, premium wheels/sound

2) 2000 BMW 323i $20,500

61000 miles 100K miles/6 years extended warranty Options include sport/premium packages, etc

Both cars have been taken good care of and the prices are reasonable. I live in Sunnyvale, CA and do not really require the AWD functionality but would be good to have it incase I plan to go for skiing to Tahoe. I am looking for a sporty car and if it has features as in a luxury car, that's good for me! I am sort of worried about maintenance cost on BMWs but other than that its a wonderful car. I also read great reviews of Outback H6 model and this car has power.

I need to decide on a car in a couple of days. Please help me make a selection.

thanks! RA

Reply to
CatcherInTheRye

You are comparing apples and oranges. Depends what you like. Subaru has excellent reliability, but I would not refer to the H6 as having "power", unless it has a manual transmission. The automatics are set to intentionally change to higher gears early to save on fuel (at the cost of power). I suspect the BMW has a better ride. But, you are looking at AWD in a Subaru, which helps on wet and other slippery roads, too.

Reply to
Alan

For "performance" type driving, the BMW is probably the better choice. For reliability and operating cost (and snow in Tahoe!), probably the Subie. BMW owners I know tell me 80k-100k miles is about what you can expect from them before they start to get expensive from a maintenance standpoint. Subie parts are high, BMW parts are sky high!

Good luck,

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Agreed apples and oranges. Have you looked at insurance and safety. Subies have done well in crash tests and I am willing to bet the Subie's insurance costs will be a tad lower.

I agree on the reliability point. Our 2000 OBW H4 has been going strong for over 4 years with nary a problem and Subies are known for longevity.

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

Have you considered the WRX? I'm sure you could find a used one in the price range you are looking for. And probably with a lot lower miles.

BlueSTi "Scary-Fast"

Reply to
BlueSTi

Reply to
Matt hotmail

Test drive both for one and see if that will decide for you.

The Subaru is the practical, the BMW is the luxury. The Subaru can do more and is bigger. The BMW will have the sportier ride and more flashy to other people.

One problem is the Sube is just out of it's 3/36,000 bumper to bumper warranty. If you're buying it from a dealer, maybe get an extended on it.

If you want sporty and luxury, probably the BMW.

Reply to
JaySee

The Outback hands down. Insurance on a BMW will always be more since the number of choppers wanting to lift your car, and morons who want to key it in lots are much higher. The H6 won't be as economical in Cali at the pump but the BMW is an I6 so fuel economy will be much closer than if it were an H4 OBW.

Also, the 3-series you're looking at is the lowest possible BMW produced in that year.

If you're going to buy a BMW, make it count, buy an M3.

Reply to
Jeremiah

intentionally

since when is Subies reliability excellent??

Reply to
Tha Ghee

Mid-80s at least?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

We have had great luck with our old Subaru. It lasted over 200,000 miles on a mail route! We just performed the minimal maintance.

I'd be happy to see 150,000 miles on my STi.

BlueSTi "Scary-Fast"

Reply to
BlueSTi

Note that I did not write the message quoted. The quote is a response to what I wrote.

Reply to
Alan

I would think not, in the last 20 years.

Reply to
Tha Ghee