1993 Taurus: replacing rear strut -> torsion bar in the way?

All, Trying to replace the rear strut on a 1993 Taurus. Removed the torsion bar from the spindle, but when trying to seperate the strut from the knuckle (by hitting the knuckle downwards), the torsion bar gets in the way (it's under the control arm, pushing up). Haynes manual says I should be able to move it out of the way, but I don't see how. Any pointers?

Also, the head of the pinch joint bolt broke.. any pointers removing it? I tried drilling it out, but it's a grade 9.8 bolt and doesn't drill too easily.

Thanks!

Reply to
Todd Cohen