online rear torsion bar, ride height calculator?

Hi,

I need to set my rear ride height in a `73 Super (IRS). Is it 19 splines on the inner and 21 on the outer? What's the method for setting ride height? 1 spline moved counter on the inner and one spline moved clockwise on the outer increases(?) ride height by ??? inches?

TIA!

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Ok, found some..

============== {from the RAMVA newsgroup, George posted:}

I have torsion bar and spring plate installation stuff in the 58 manual. It's all measured in degrees though, one notch on the torsion bar = 9 degrees. One spline on the spring plate = 8 degrees 10 minutes, there by allowing for adjustments to 0 degrees 50 minutes. Could scan the pages and send to you if you interested. No load spring plates should measure 12 degrees plus or minus 30 minutes.

{John added:}

The Bentley manual has the proper spring plate angle listed I believe. For my purposes, I've found that one notch either direction on the inside spline, and one notch the other direction on the outside spline equals about 1/8" difference in ride height. In other words, 6 one way and 6 the other equals about 3/4" difference in ride height. ==============

Doesn't the Super have a longer torsion bar than the earlier bugs? If I can't get the bar to pop out on both inner and outer sides, do I need to remove the fender to pull the bar out enough to clamp on it?

Reply to
David Gravereaux