84 chevy 305 front seal remove and replace

Hi i need to know if there anything special needed (tools) etc. to change the timing cover gasket and front seal on a chevy 305 the oil leak is coming from behind the harmonic balancer thanx for helping.

Reply to
robschevy

The only real tool needed would be a puller to remove the balancer. The seal can be pried out with a screwdriver. Tap seal in with a hammer & block of wood. Gasket is simple. Just be sure not to distort the cover when removing or installing the seal. Reinstall balancer with patience. Getting the key lined up & the balancer on straight. Pretty straight forward. Good Luck, Mike

Reply to
MCL

"robschevy" wrote

As MCL said, just normal tools + a balancer puller.

If your new gasket set doesn't come with one, you might also want to get a "repair sleeve" for the balancer's snout, as the surface where the old seal has been rubbing for years has a tendency to develop a groove, which can destroy the new seal in a short time, or just continue to leak as always.

The sleeve is just a super-thin metal sleeve (duh!) about the size of a cut-off toilet paper tube. Smear some glue (included with the sleeve) around the inside, tap it onto the snout nice and straight, and the new seal has a shiny new surface to slide on.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Check out this link to see what the balancer repair sleeve and front seal look like.

Ebay item# 8054090030

Yes...this IS one I have for sale, but all you probably need is the seal and the sleeve...should be available at your local parts store, as well as the loan/rent of a balancer puller.

--Don Don Byrer Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Amateur Radio KJ5KB kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves..."

Reply to
Don Byrer

Thankyou so much for the information on the front seal .

Reply to
robschevy