An AD on TCM?!?!?!

Hey cuhulin, you watch TCM tonight?

There was a AD on! A Toyota ad. A 30 second Yaris ad. No narrative, just music and pictures of the car, followed by "Toyota Yaris".

Hope they don't take the same path as AMC. That would suck.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I hope not. Might not hurt to drop them a note and explain your concern. I know I will if I see an add. If they wanted to do a couple in place of the usual dead air filler they run between movies that might be OK. I can only take so many "Kate Hepburn was a great actress" shorts....

I only hope the find someone else to take Mankiewicz's place. Yes, he's the son of an actor but, the guy doesn't know films and it shows... Some of his intros read just like the plot sections on IMDB...

Reply to
Steve W.

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote in news:hop7bj$dmf$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

The killer is that AMC is a pay extra channel up here and TCM isn't.

Reply to
chuckcar

"Steve W." wrote in news:hopbg5$bej$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Bogdanovitch would be my first pick, but they probably don't want to pay a decent wage.

Reply to
chuckcar

Sometimes I watch TCM for some of the old movies I like.I reckon I missed that ad.Maybe I was watching some other tv channel.

I am doing a lot of work on the outside of my house, cleaning up, scraping and sanding off old paint, I am going to paint my old house, a lot of ''rat killing'' to do.I am not watching much tv in the day time nowadays. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

It was in between movies. Still haven't seen it repeated.

And, if it weren't for the shorts, I never would have known about these

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

AMC sucks imho.

They go thru the movies and cut out all the curse words. Hey we are big kids now and can handle it.

Plus now the put in advertisements. I wrote to them and told them I would not view movies on their channel anymore.

They wrote back and said they had to have the revenue.

Well I voted with my remote.

No more AMC for me.

TCM all the way!

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I Quote what a local radio talk show host guy said about a year or two ago,,, AMC tv channel has lost us! UnQuote. I have to give Credit to the AMC tv channel though for running those old Three Stooges movies.

AMC cars, that is a nice AMC car in the Back to the Future movie. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Man, don't badmouth the Pacer....

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

"Fargo"..."and I'm keeping that /funny/ car, too!"

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3172.bay.webtv.net:

Nothing more than a undercoated Bricklin .

Reply to
chuckcar

Scott in Florida wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's The US Government regulations. It has nothing to do with the station.

Reply to
chuckcar

Not when it comes to 'private' broadcasts. Watch "Fargo" on Encore...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Tribes is on the FMC tv channel right now.

Is this the Wak Wak Platoon? I am Captain Yak Yak,,, Drop and gimme 50 Aak Aks! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote in news:hotvj8$vog$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

And Encore is not a cable stations? like HBO? I don't live in the US (like most people on usenet it seems), but I *do* know that what Carlin said is only the tip of the iceburg now. Any movie broadcast on the networks is censored. Even Tomb Raider.

Reply to
chuckcar

Isn't nice to bad mouth Fargo. (Trucks)

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I can't believe this. And if it is as bad as you say, you have our sympathy. Canada but be almost catatonic.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e86.GTS:

It is /definitely/ as bad as I say when it comes to TV.

US TV is illegal in Canada, both to supply and to receive. The only exception is if a licensed Canadian supplier supplies it. And even then there are "Canadian Content" rules that essentially mean that any US show that's presented must be offset somewhere by a Canadian one. There is, therefore, a huge amount of very good US TV that is simply unavailable here.

Our federal government is currently considering legislation that will allow all cops to pull drivers over anytime, anywhere, for any reason or no reason at all. This is supposed to help the cops catch drunks, but you can bet the cops will be allowed to use the stops to fish for other stuff they can charge you with, just like they do right now with DUI spot-checks.

Canadian cops running DUI spot-checks are already allowed to use those spot-checks as fishing expeditions for anything else they can think of to nail you with, everything from outdated paperwork to blown light bulbs to outstanding parking tickets. Our Supreme Court has upheld this abuse of DUI spot-checks.

Lovely country. Just lovely.

Reply to
Tegger

WebTV used to be available in Canada and Japan.I think it was Rogers (Canadian company) which used to handle that.I don't know which Japanese outfit handled WebTV in Japan. When WebTV hit the market place in 1996, for a while it was illegal to transport any WebTV set top boxes out of America because of 128 bit encryption.Something like that, anyway. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:14284-4BB3C7C9-1347@storefull-

3172.bay.webtv.net:

If so, then it would have been subject to "Canadian Content" rules, so the actual programming would NOT have been the same as what the US got, plus the commercials would have largely been over-written by Canadian ones.

"Canadian Content", by the way, did not exist before about 1975, when the Trudeau government imposed that restriction on the people.

We had DirecTV for ten years through a gray-market provider. They got shut down last year, so we're back to the Canadian crap. We KNOW what we're missing.

Reply to
Tegger