can you help whats the problem?

ok so this is whats going on. i have a 1997 buick lesabre limited edition. While i am driving my car stops on me. the oil level light goes to zero the alteranator volt battery light comes on my power steering goes out and my car slowly rolls until the momentum has stopped. sometimes it would start back up immediately and sometimes it would take up to an hour for it to start back up again. i have noticed that it happens when the car heats up or if im driving during the day in the heat of the desert. i have heard different things, someone told me it was my starter or alternator (i took my alternator to get tested and it did not fail), i replaced the fuel pump and the problem persists. i went and bought some fule injector cleaner and it still has the same problem but now after it stops it usually starts back up after a couple of mins after maybe stalling if trying to start it back right away. none of the mechanics i took it to knows whats going on and i put money into the car and the problem still isnt' fixed. they didnt know what it was after i took it to get a diagnostic because the check engine light came on but that problem was due to an unplugged vacuum hose but the car continues to stop anytime anywhere it doesn't really matter how fast or slow i am going. but i think its the fuel filter clogging. please help :-(

Reply to
key

An engine needs this to run: air, fuel, spark, proper timing of the fuel and spark. Over the web its difficult to tell you which one is missing. You will need to figure that out.

Reply to
« Paul »

I'm guessing a sensor or control module is getting cooked and failing until it cools. Have you checked on the ignition control module? It's hard to nail down the problem when it only does it when it's hot. I wouldn't rule out a bad alternator, either..

Reply to
corning_d3

Did you change the filter?!?!

Reply to
willy

Your car starter has become your car stopper? I don't think so.

It's probably fine.

What was wrong with the fuel pump, and what defects did it show when tested for pressure and volume? Of course it was tested for those things because it makes no sense to replace expensive parts otherwise.

Were the fule injectors dirty? Considering the car is a 1997, I doubt it.

You paid to have your car fixed, and unless they told you they didn't fix it and charged you only a diagnostic fee, they owe you either a repair or refund.

You want to know if your engine stops because of lack of fuel or lack of spark. To see if this is a fuel problem, squirt propane or carburetor/throttle body cleaner spray into the intake (preferrably with the air filter still in place so it can block any flame from blowback) while a friend cranks the engine. If the engine runs when you do this but doesn't run otherwise, then you have a fuel delivery problem, and your ignition system is probably OK (it could be marginal, but I doubt it, unless the engine has been idling roughly or has been weak). To check spark, remove a spark plug wire and connect it to another spark plug (even a cheap one will do, so long as it fits the connector) and hold its metal body against some bare metal (engine, frame). While a friend cranks the engine, listen and look for spark (may be hard to see in strong sunlight).

I'm going to suspect a bad electrical connection, possibly a ground, related to either the fuel pump or ignition system (including the key switch), or a bad ignition module, but realize I'm only guessing, so don't replace anything that doesn't fail testing, unless you can find a TSB (technical service bulletin) saying it's a problem device.

If you diagnose this yourself, get a GM or Mitchell manual since other books don't cover fuel and ignition systems very well or may even provide wrong information (troubleshooting information may even apply to carburetors instead of fuel injection). Also look at web sites that specialize in GM cars, such as

do_not_spam_me

My guess would be the fuel is vapourizing in the lines before reaching the injectors, thus no fuel. When you let it sit the lines cool down and the fuel gets through until the lines get hot again. My two cents . . . anyway. . .

key wrote:

Reply to
Heyjohn

key wrote: 1997 buick lesabre limited edition.

My car quits while i am driving. oil level light goes to zero, alternator light comes on power steering goes out and car slowly rolls to a stop Sometimes it starts back up immediately and sometimes it takes an hour for it to start back up again.

It happens when the car heats up or if im driving during the day in the heat of the desert. please help :-( ____________________________________________

When the engine quits, it is normal for oil pressure, alternator current and power steering pump pressure to go to zero.

If the ignition quits intermittently it is often a failing ignition module which seems to return to life after cooling off. This failure happens more frequently in a hot environment. Eventually it will fail completely.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan