Deteriorating Rubber Brake Lines

I have a '94 Dodge Grand Caravan with 130K miles. I recently noticed that one of the front brakes didn't seem to be releasing properly after the brakes had been applied. I did some checking and found that the insides of the rubber lines will deteriorate over time and restrict the back flow of brake fluid causing the calipers to hang up a bit. I replaced the front flexible hoses and things are fine.

HOWEVER, do the rears suffer from this same problem? My logic on the one hand says "sure!" because they're the same type of lines ... of course they'll deteriorate just like the fronts ... why not? The other side of my logic says "yeah, but ..." the rears (drums) have strong springs pulling the shoes back and forcing the wheel cylinder back in turn forcing the fluid back ... while the hoses may deteriorate the rears probably aren't at as much risk.

So ... what's the REAL story on the rears? Replace the flexible hoses or forget about them?

Thanks! Dave

Reply to
Dave Wick

if your van is subjected to bad weather ,Snow ,sand , salt , etc i would say change them.

Reply to
tudysmuck

Replace them. Even if the springs on the rear drums are masking the symptom you observed on the fronts, chances are that the rear lines are in about the same condition and are close to failing completely. Brakes are the LAST system on a car that you should pinch pennies on.

Reply to
Steve

The hoses are exactly the same, the only differences are the length and maybe the fittings crimped on the ends.

What do you think you should do?

nate

Reply to
N8N

Replace them. Will saving $40 mean anything when one of the rear hoses (subjected to exactly the same wear/tear as the fronts) blows and you're shopping for an entire front end for your van ... or worse?

Just replace them. I bought a 67 Kaiser Jeepster Commando a few years ago that was (and is) in great shape for a pittance. Really a great deal. Hadn't been moved in about 11 years, but the guy got it running great about 4 days before I bought it. In less than the first year I had it, I had to replace almost every single piece of rubber in the vehicle. Even sitting in a garage takes a toll on rubber, much less driving it over 100k miles. Steering bushings (which suck in Jeeps even when they're new), brake lines, cylinder boots (I just replaced all the wheel cylinders), gas lines, gas filler tube ($$$), door seals, master cylinder & power booster ... everything made of rubber was shot from sitting for 11 years. The Jeep only had 42k on it and had spent it's entire life in Northern California (very mild weather), far less miles than your Dodge van. You van has been on the road for than long and has a ton more miles on it with some very important rubber parts failing right now.

Yank & replace _all_ the brake hoses and you've bought some of the cheapest peace of mind you can get with your Caravan. Also at 130k, you should be saving up for a timing set for it, or at least thinking about it.

Cheers, - JJ

Keep YerSpam

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll be replacing them ...

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wick