Rubber brake lines

Okay, I've gotten new rubber lines all around and am trying to get the old jobbies off, but I'm running into a bit of trouble. The Haynes manual was kind of vague with regards to getting the lines out of the tabs on the body. I see there is the tab which is welded to the car and another sheet in there.

What I think is whats going on:

Tab2 >|| Mtl.Ln_____||_____ < Brake Line (rubber) || < Tab1 _____ |________ < Car

wheel hookup here suspension hookup over here _________________

Am I supposed to pull out tab2 in order to get the rubber brake line off? I've gotten the bolt disconnected, and stripped some of my trailing arm's paint with the brake fluid that leaked out ;) This is on the female end of the rubber line nearest the rear wheel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

When I said wheel hookup here, I meant in that direction. Not right there. Sorry. Unclear? I can maybe upload a picture...

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

if i follow you correctly you are refering to the junction of hardline to soft hose? if so the hardline has a swivel end on it....11mm i think...could be 13 but i think 11...you need to break that fitting loose while backing it up on the rubberline side(larger fitting, maybe 15 mm again, can't remember for sure)...after you get the fitting loose, pull the metal "clip" that wedges between the bracket and the rubber hose fitting...this forked wedge holds it to the bracket with spring pressure...once you have that junction loose you can twist the rubber line off at the wheel end(no swivel here)... can probably get you a pic if need....this is the rear? "irs" or swing application?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

IRS. I think all I need to do is get that clip off. It doesnt want to go, so now the needle nosed pliers are going to have a word with it. I'll come back if I have any troubles.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

i like to get just under the "lip" of the spring clip with a wide flat screw driver, then twist the screw driver...will pull the clip outward enough to get it with pliers....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yes, tab 2 is a U-shaped clip which holds everything in place. You can pull it up with pliers or pry it up with a screwdriver. Make sure to put it back when you're done.

-

Jim Adney

Thanks! Got it done. Another question -- it ought not hurt to have no (rather very limited) brake fluid in there for the moment...would it? Am I risking rust or anything serious? The car is not going to be driven. I'd prefer to rebuild the wheel cylinders and have the brakes lathed (and new shoes in rear, pads in front--discs on my ghia) before I put new fluid in. Since the rubber hasn't seen brake fluid yet, I oughtta be alright for a week or two, yeah? Thanks!

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

Probably would be a good idea not to put fluid in just yet, unless the entire system is closed to the atmosphere (No open lines, etc). Brake fluid is very hygroscopic (water loving), so it absorbs the water that is in the air. Not good, especially if it is humid.

Lynn

1974 Superbeetle

Reply to
Lynn Martin

Kay, thanks. Thats what I'm (not) doing (with regards to putting brake fluid in). We just had it start to rain here in Southern California (the DAY after I washed my GTI for christs sake...after a month and a half of sunshine). I'm planning on taking off my calipers and cleaning them up and painting them, putting in new o-rings...etc...same with my drums, then putting in the new fluid bottle I just bought (old one was cracked). I'll fill her up once the rest of my braking system is in order...as the last step. Thanks!

-Kev> Probably would be a good idea not to put fluid in just yet, unless the

Reply to
Kevin Holzer