Directional Tires and unstable handling (97 Accord 200K)

I have a Honda Accord with 200K miles. Over the past year, I have had two different brands/sets of directional tires (Yokohama Avids & now Michelin Exalto A/S tires). I keep experiencing erratic handling, mostly noticable on the freeway. Road texture, especially grooved pavement seems to trip up the car's handling, causing erratic lateral movement as if the car riding on rails. In the past year, 3 mechanics checked out my steering and suspension system and found nothing wrong. My alignment has been checked many times over the year and is fine. I did have new Monroe Sensatrac strutts installed before these sets of tires. This was my second set of Sensatracs, where the previous set were fine. I have the stock alloy rims. Not sure if old age or corrosion on wheels could cause this problem. I did hear from one mechanic that directional tires are more prone to these type of handling problems. I wonder if anyone else has experienced these type of handling issues. Thanks

Reply to
techman41973

Dear techman41: Stop spending your hard earned money on an old car with 200,000 mi. on it. Unless you are really attached. Then replace the entire steering mechnism. Then buy exotic parts for it.

Reply to
deerknucklesociety

On what planet do simple wear items like tires and struts cost more than the payments on a rapidly depreciating new car?

Reply to
Brent P

Reply to
E Meyer

WTF?

Reply to
N8N

Why? I love my Accord. Other than this problem, it runs like it's new. In fact I take such good care of the interior, it looks brand new. At the least I am waiting until the 2008 Accord.

Reply to
techman41973

check the condition of the suspension bushings and ball joints - when they wear, handling can get squirrely, especially the upper front wishbone pivot.

Reply to
jim beam

Rather than having your alignment adjusted to spec, have it adjusted for your desired handling. A good mechanic can maybe do it. Your average tire store is lucky if they hook up the alignment testing machinery correctly.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

It might be related to the directional tires. My 99 Mustang GT came with directional Goodyear gatorbacks and those were replaced with directional Yokohama's and both tracked something fierce. Sometimes even slightly rutted roads would jerk the car from side to side. I recently replaced the yoko's with asymmetrical tread Kuhmo all season tires. The difference is night and day, the handling is about the same but gone is the terrible tracking plus they are quieter then either of the other tires were.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

======================== I am using Yokohama AVID Touring TRZ directional tires on a Camry with

153,000 miles, but have replaced the ball joints, and control arms. The factory service manual calls for zero play in the ball joints and I found some on one side so replaced both. When changing the axles, noticed cracking in the rear bushing for the control arm so replaced them. When removed it could be seen that portions of the rubber were cracked all the way through. I get some very minor occasional tracking along freeway pavement rain grooves, but it diminished after a few hundred miles of driving so it is now barely even noticeable. I'm actually quite pleased with the tires overall.
Reply to
Daniel

Reply to
Big Al

What are you driving?

My 10 year old Honda Civic runs great. Can do 80+ all day or take the kids to school on a ten minute drive. I am keeping it as long as possible given that I have a $1,500 a year budget for parts. I have a new front drive axles, new Pirelli 400's all around, and relaced the water pump/timing chain, catalytic converter last year. Only 77K.

What the hell do I need car payments for??????

Reply to
slim