Ford 3.0L Engines' Timing Chain Longevity?

I'm going to be doing some major work on the front of my 93 Aerostar's engine compartment soon.....changing the A/C compressor, radiator hoses, belts, etc. The van runs great at 173,000 miles and I plan on keeping it for quite a while as a second vehicle. Just wondering how long timing chains usually last in that engine, and whether it would make sense to replace it while I'm "in the area".

Wondering the same thing about the AutoZone rebuilt water pump I had to install while on a trip across country about 20,000 miles ago. It only had a 12,000 mile warranty, but is still working fine. I got

145,000 miles out of the original water pump. Are the rebuilt ones usually good for 100K or so?
Reply to
Josh

If you've never had the timing chain done before it's time to replace it.

IMO I'd put another water pump on especially if it came from AZ. A1 rebuilt water pumps carry a 3 yr/36000 warranty (at least that's what we honer at my work). Also check into getting a new one, they might not be that much more, and usually carry about the same warranty.

Reply to
m6onz5a

If somebody asks me about a timing chain, I tell them to just run it until it fails. But in your case, especially if the radiator is being replaced, you may as well replace it. All you've got left to do is pull the dampner and the timing cover. Same with your water pump, even if it hasn't failed. Most manufacturers and rebuilders use the cheapest bearings they can contract. It's cheaper to do it now instead of having it leave you set somewhere on the road.

Reply to
Kruse

Timing chain failure is not something that engine is known for. Failure is pretty rare in them. If the chain is still tight, it will probably last as long as any replacement. I would be more concerned with the crank seal leaking at that mileage but, the would not cause me to go ahead and replace the chain if it is still well within specs. You manual should have a diagram with how to check it for slack which indicates the extent of wear. I've seen many of them go past 300K miles with no problem. Seals and gaskets are more prone to failure. Water pump are an item that varies greatly in reliable life. The oroginal on my F150 went over 200k miles. It has failed twice in the 25K since replacement. Maybe the first redo doesn't count since the builder didn't put a back cover plats gasket in it. The second was a better quality rebuild in hopes of avoiding that problem again.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I had to replace a pump on my Dodge van a few years ago under similar circumstances. The Autozone rebuilt didnt last very long. When I pulled it apart, it was corroded, bearing was out. I replaced it with a new Autozone pump (again, because of accessibility) and it worked fine.

Autozone does supply new parts, and I dont really recommend their rebuilts except in necessity

Reply to
hls