Ignition locks up

I bought a 1991 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 Liter, 4 Door Auto about six weeks ago. Twice now I have not been able to get the ignition key to turn after parking the car for a few minutes and then trying to start it again. Most of the time, no problem, but twice now it has locked up on me after just shutting the engine off to go into a store to buy something and then when I return to the car a few minutes later, the ignition key will not turn and I can't start the car. After 10 minutes or so of banging on the steering column and trying to turn the key, all of a sudden the ignition will turn and the car starts right up and away I go. This is most annoying. My wife would freak right out if it happened to her.

Does anyone have any idea what I can check to see why the ignition switch locks up like this? Was there a know problem (recall) for this problem?

Thanx! Peter

Reply to
Loose Cannon

nope theres no recall yet but im sure there will be the problem is your ignition cylinder inside the cylinder are tumblers which have spring behind them it has been a problem at our dealership where ther tumblers or springs go bad also check to see if you have a factory key if it was a used car when you bought it it may be after market and cut wrong but i bet its the cylinder you can buy one but you have to have someone program it they call it where they take the tumblers and springs from your old one and put into your new one and replacing the ones thay are bad the only way to solve this is to replace the cylinder becarfull not to jam it because it could set off your anti theft then youll have more problems if you replace the cylinder take it to the dealer the clyinder that is have them do what needs done once you replace it back into your car turn the key to the run position and let it sit for 10 mins untill the thieft light stops blinking or goes out then youe can start the car as normal the reason you have to so this is so the pcm relearns the new cylinder position hope this helps

Reply to
Steve Cook

If it's anything like a Ford product built between 1981 and now it's just a failure of the ignition key core. You can get a new one from the dealer, I remember for my '81 Ford it cost $40 (The multi-function module however was another matter!) and was a piece of cake to put in.

Reply to
COTTP
91 Cavaliers do not have serviceable ignition lock cylinders. The tumblers normally cannot be changed. The whole lock cylinder needs to be replaced unless you can find a locksmith to take it apart. This year Cavalier does not have Theft Deterrent so there is no relearn procedure, just replace the cylinder.

Les

Steve Cook wrote:

Reply to
les

you've tried turning the wheel at the same time as the key I assume? it's not just steering locked? :)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I've solved similar issues, including one where the cylinder would not turn at all in a Trans Am by spraying graphite into the cylinder via Lock-Eze or something similar. I'd guess it has worked 3-5 times for me. If it doesn't, then I get further into the mechanism/replacing the mechanism.

As a thought, have you checked the steering interlock? I don't know the Cavalier per se, but most cars lock the ignition if there is tension on the steering column.

--G--

Reply to
George
) 91 Cavaliers do not have serviceable ignition lock cylinders. The tumblers normally cannot be changed. The whole lock cylinder needs to be replaced unless you can find a locksmith to take it apart. This year Cavalier does not have Theft Deterrent so there is no relearn procedure, just replace the cylinder. Les

theft deterrent came out in 1990 on some model cavaliers ive changed out a dozen of these and the tumblers are replaceable ive done many of them too.you dont need to be a locksmith most GM TECHS i know can do this. most dealership parts depts have a box of tumblers on stock when buying a cylinder at a dealership the tumblers are not in the lock cylinder they use the ones out of the old one and replace the bad if needed? Ive worked for Gm for 15 years but hen agian what do i know

Reply to
Steve Cook