Intermittent drivability problem due to fretting corrosion -- a case study

I'm posting this information in case you may run across a similar problem.

PROBLEM

1998 Cadillac DeVille with Northstar control system and with intermittent MIL, sometimes flashing. Vehicle was taken to dealership and P0303 code extracted (cylinder 3 misfire). Number 3 fuel injector replaced and all is quiet. MIL turns on, again, sometimes flashing. Vehicle taken to an independent shop, P0308 (cylinder 8 misfire) code. "Motorvac" treatment given, problem goes away. MIL turns on, sometimes flashing. Vehicle taken to dealer, DTC P0308 present. On way to dealer, MIL turns off. Customer states the problem often goes away. Tech performs power balance test and recommends replacing #8 injector. Customer refuses, claims dealer incompetent. Customer pays $150 diagnostic fee and leaves. Since "customer" is a family member, I get to look at the car, next.

EXPERIMENT Scan tool (OTC Enhanced Monitor with Pathfinder 99 firmware) showed P0308 in history, both long-term fuel trims were negative (as expected on a hot engine -- although one was more negative than other). Vehicle appeared to be running well when examined. Ignition on cylinder 8 'scoped and compared to "known-good" (I used #6 since this was convenient and PCM was not complaining about this cylinder). Both cylinders were firing at about 10 kV. "Good" is between 10 kV and 15 kV. Decorative top cover was removed , tape from #8 and #6 fuel injectors' wiring was unraveled and current peak and duration measured. Both injectors were drawing 1 ampere, pulse width was about 3.2 mS (scan tool showed 3.3 mS was commanded).

Pathfinder 99 allows individual injectors to be turned off. With engine off, idle air control motor was disabled and engine was started. Selectively turning off injectors showed approximately identical RPM drop (before fuel control kicked in). Engine was turned off. Idle air controller was reconnected and new DTC ("cannot control idle rpm") was cleared. Although the power balance test was not done "by the book," its outcome convinced me that, at the moment of the test, no problems existed in #8 cylinder.

HYPOTHESIS System appeared to be in very good control of fuel delivery, although slightly different long term fuel trim (LTFT) readings hint at a possible air leak (injector O-ring, intake manifold, etc.). Misfire was not present. Initermittent problem is symptomatic of electrical connectivity issue, characteristic of fretting corrosion (due to microvibration inside electrical connector and oxygen ingress causing oxide formation -- do a web search if you're interested in details).

REPAIR #8 fuel injector connector was disconnected and injector's pins and connector clips cleaned with Caig Labs' "Deoxit D5" (a very good contact cleaner/lubricant) and reconnected. Connection reopened, recleaned and final connection made.

FOLLOW-UP Vehicle has been running flawlessly for three weeks. Family member told next time P03xx code present, all injectors will have connections cleaned. Total time spent on job: 2 hours.

If you want to contact me on details, please replace the digits with "o."

Cordially,

Bohdan Bodnar

Reply to
Bohdan Bodnar

Shep

Good to see you back!

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Thanks, Neil! I've been messing around, on and off for about 1/2 year, with a voltage drop problem in a 1995 Ciera that is more difficult to find than to diagnose. The PCM's power circuit is on the same line as the turn signals; there's an abnormal drop in that circuit whenever the turn signals are on, thus causing RPMs to rise and fall in time (instrument panel, SRS, PCM power, turn signals are all on the same circuit). The problem is not in the ignition switch (that was an expensive guess on my part -- time and money). What I really need is several hours without interruption so I can go in with a portable 'scope, jumper wires, etc.

I'll write this up once I figure out exactly what the failure mechanism is.

Bye,

BB aarcuda69062 wrote:

Reply to
Bohdan Bodnar

Cool, Yet another problem fixed by Deoxit D5. For the past few months, I have been using it to clean ANY connector I remove, no matter how shiny, before returning to service.

--Don Don Byrer Electronics Technician/Friendly but Sarcastic Pilot FAA Airways Facilites/Tech Ops, RADAR/Data/Comm @ CLE Amateur Radio KJ5KB Instrument Pilot Commercial Student PP-ASEL 30 Jan 2005 "-IA" 25 Mar 2005 snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
kj5kb