New Water Pump= No Heat!

Hi all, I just had my water pump replaced on my 1990 Chev. Celebrity. Now I have no heat...temp is running normal, around 230-240+/- (normal for this car) Radiator is full, checked after a 100 mile run, still full, no leaks whatsoever. Still no heat. You can feel a slight amount of heat from the vents, but prior to the water pump job, it was so hot it felt like a heat gun and you actually had to mix it down to cold a little for it to be comfortable. My mechanic did mention something about a neck on the manifold breaking and he did indeed fix it, but I don't know if this is relative. Any thoughts on this? Thanks, Jay

Reply to
bajazza

Shep

Probably an air-lock. Did you bleed the air out? For some cars there is a set procedure to follow.

Reply to
John S.

- On the 3.1L engine open the air bleed vent on the throttle body return pipe (above the coolant pump). The air bleed vent should be opened two to three turns.

- [image:

- [image:
- [image:
- [image:
- [image:
- CAUTION[image:
drainingcoolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethyleneglycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in anuncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatalin sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealablecontainer. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated orseveral years old. [image:

- Remove the drain plug(s) from the engine block (located on the engine block, above the engine oil pan) and allow the coolant to drain.

- Close the radiator drain fitting and reinstall the engine block plugs.

- On the 3.1L close the bleed valve on the throttle body.

- Add clear water to the system until it is filled.

- Start the engine and repeat steps 7-12 until the drained water is almost colorless. Turn the engine -OFF-.

- Allow the system to drain completely and repeat step 10. Remove the cap from the coolant recovery tank, leaving the hoses connected to the cap.

- Unbolt and remove the coolant recovery tank, drain it, and flush it with clear water. Reinstall the tank.

- Fill the radiator to the base of the radiator filler neck with a 50/50 mixture of coolant/water. On diesel equipped models, add a gallon of undiluted coolant first, then add the 50/50 solution.-If only the radiator was drained, use a 50/50 solution to refill it, then check the freezing protection after the level stabilizes.-

- Fill the coolant recovery tank to the FULL mark with the 50/50 solution.

- With the radiator cap still removed, start the engine and allow it to idle until the upper radiator hose becomes hot, indicating that the thermostat has opened.

- With the engine still idling, fill the radiator to the base of the filler neck with the 50/50 solution.

- Install the radiator cap, being sure to align the arrows on the cap with the overflow tube.

- Turn the engine -OFF-, check for leakage, and double check that the radiator drain is closed and the drain plug(s) is (are) tightened.Dunno if this helps, but wth.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03