Oberg Filter installation?

I want to install an Oberg Filter that I have purchased on my new 2006 Ford Escape. My question is can I mount the filter above the engine on the fender or does this create problems with oil starvation on start up because of gravity?

Reply to
Mister Ed

Oberg might be a very good filter, I don't know. My question is if Ford will warranty your engine if it craps out and you have an aftermarket external oil filter......

Reply to
Kruse

The installation of an aftermarket external oil filter does not absolve Ford from its warranty obligations.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

aarcuda69062 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com:

But will most certainly increase the hassle factor if a problem develops and will probly provide no actuall benfit to the eng. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

I'd think the Ford dealer would definately argue any warranty work. It's a gamble that you may or may not get the warranty work done in a "timely" manner, at least.

I'm not sure why you want an additional filter, unless you are expecting very severe engine usage, which would itself be an issue with the dealer for any warranty repair.

However, if you see a real need for an additional filter, I would think "feed" as the OP was concerned over. That itself, another potential voided warranty issue. If the external filter isn't receiving a fast enough flow into it so it can deliver it back to the engine, or if the filter "dries out" before it gets it's oil supply, Ford will likely say "modification that voids existing warranty". In essence, they aren't liable for an owner modifying an engine that departs from the factory issue.

I just don't think the possible benefit of another filter [especially the time and work needed to line it into the oil flow correctly] is really worth the risk of a voided warranty. Just my :2cents: .

However, there is one way around all that, have the dealer do it, then, most likely, it stays cool re warranty.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

Of course not. That was not the point of my post. My point was that while a lot of regulars on this group are aware of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, apparently a lot of service managers are not. Ford (and all the other manufacturers) have their lawyers on call. Most automobile owners do not. It is also the manufacturer's attitude that a person will give up on getting warranty work if there is a little bit of a hassle to it. Case in point: I have a buddy who had transmission problems on a truck (manufacture is not important here) that was still under warranty. The warranty work was initially refused because of "modifications that caused undo stress on the transmission". His modification? He had replaced the factory wheels with aftermarket wheels, even though the tire size had not changed. He got his warranty work done, but only after spending several hundred on lawyer fees. His truck also had to sit on the lot for two months because he couldn't drive it. He also was doing monthly payments and insurance while the truck just sat on the lot being unused.

Would the Oberg cause an engine to crap? Probably not, but a slick corporate lawyer might easily have a jury to believe it.

Reply to
Kruse

Well,there it is, you stated it >His modification? He had replaced the factory wheels with aftermarket wheels, even though the tire size had not changed. He got his warranty work done, but only after spending several hundred on lawyer fees.<

I reiterate, why bother? Go ahead, put the filter in, spend X dollars to pursue your claim.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

The simple solution then would be to remove it before taking it in to have the engine replaced.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

aarcuda69062 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com:

Then would Ford default to honoring an engine-failure warranty claim unless the Oberg system could be shown to have contributed to the failure?

Reply to
Tegger