Ontario, Canada E-Test

Is there a product out there that anyone can recommend that will help a 95 Neon with 225K get through an E-test. I havel already changes plugs,oil and filter looking for a little extra help.

Reply to
hjcfz

Be sure to change the PCV valve too and pour in some SeaFoam "Motor Tuneup" with a tank of medium grade gas. Be sure to drive the vehicle for at least a half-hour before arriving at the station.

Reply to
mst

Not so much a product as a service that you buy: Proper diagnosis and repair of whatever problems your car has. If your car's in good condition, it will pass Ontario's Drive Clean test. If your car's a stinker, it won't (and shouldn't).

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Most people forget about changing the distributor cap and rotor. Even with electronic ignition, these need regular changing, same for the plug wires. A new air filter also does it wonders. Make sure it has a highway run just before you take it in so it is 'really' hot, not just gauge hot.

There are a few sharp people here so if you posted the fail numbers you might get pointed in the right direction easier.

Mike

hjcfz wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

i would change the oil, do a tune-up and pour a can of that stuff from Cdn Tire that guarantees you'll pass the test. if you don't,you still get a conditional pass for 3 or 4 hundred. i save the tune-up for the test garage so they have something to do that i need done anyway. ...thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

use this it will pass

State regulations are getting tougher on older vehicles. They expect to DOUBLE the SMOG Test failures in the coming years as they get older cars and trucks off the roads because they pollute more than newer models.

Don=92t let the state take your classic baby off the road. Keep her clean as well as beautiful. Pass your next SMOG Test on the first try. Boost performance, Get more miles per gallon, Make your vehicle run cleaner, longer, and with less wear.

Just add 4-6 oz. of non-toxic, non-hazardous, EPA-registered BlueSky

3-in-1 Fuel Conditioner to your fuel tank the only fuel additive road tested by the California Air Resources Board. Then drive your vehicle for a day or two before the SMOG inspection. Many users have just driven for an hour or two before their SMOG Inspection and passed =96=96 even when there were no other options.
Reply to
tudysmuck

In my experience (YMMV), the only problem with a failed emissions test in Ontario is that you cannot sell the vehicle. If the cost of repairs is above a certain threshold, you will be granted a conditional pass. My car had a siezed EGR valve. Replacing it for the vehicle was above the threshold, so I got a conditional pass. If the repairs to bring it up to spec are cheap enough, you just get the work done (Can$300 comes to mind), and some diagnosis is included with the test.

Reply to
Richard Bell

That's not only untrue, but even if it were true, it'd be irrelevant. Ontario is not a state.

Nope. They expect smog check failures to increase as they tighten the standards to get *dirty* cars off the road until they're fixed. You imply that emission test standards are the same for all vehicles regardless of model year, which is not true in ANY state or province.

*Classic* cars aren't subject to emission tests. *Beautiful* cars -- those that are kept in good shape -- don't flunk emission tests. EPA and Environment Canada both know that the highest-polluting cars on the road are almost all between 4 and 14 years old. A car has to be a great deal older and rarer than any 14-year-old to be a "classic".

Insulate your house! Filter your coffee! Win friends and influence people, all with this aMAZing product!

*spit*
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

It is worth repeating that the conditional pass is not given if you pay 3 or

4 hundred dollars, but if the repairs to bring the vehicle to spec are over that amount. This was a sop to anti-poverty groups which pointed out that not everybody who has a badly out of tune vehicle can afford to fix it (for which I am not too ashamed to admit gratitude).

Obviously, this has pulled the teeth of Ontario's DriveClean program. However, some out of tune vehicles do get put back to spec, and any vehicle that changes hands must have passed an E-test, unconditionally.

Reply to
Richard Bell

In Ontario cars over 20 years of age are currently exempt from emissions tests. One of the reasons I'm still driving my 1989 Ford Festiva. (Cars are tested every 2 years so effectively licenced cars over 18 years of age are exempt.) Only one more emissions test left on it. :)

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

My mistake. An emissions pass is good for one year so licenced cars over

17 years of age, if tested at earliest date are effectively exempt.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

[snip advert]

you forgot one section - pay special attention to #1:

  • We are often asked "How can I help my car PASS its Inspection?" Check out smogtips.com which offers these suggestions:

1) if the car needs repairs, get them done before the test

2) drive 20 minutes to warm up the engine (10 miles or more) 3) use BlueSky 3 in 1 Fuel Conditioner to keep the engine clean 4) make sure the tires are inflated properly 5) change the oil 6) make sure the check engine light isn't on
Reply to
mst

Quite true. That does not mean cars over 20 years old are "classics" in any sense of the word.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Well...the DriveClean program is absolutely FULL of large holes. The exemption setup is actually one of the smaller holes.

There are lots and lots of kidz and assorted other idiots who remove or gut their cars' catalytic converters. They drive around with impugnity, emitting 1966-spec exhaust. There are plenty of places you can buy a "pass" with a vehicle that would never come close to passing if it were actually tested. There are entire fleets of filthy-running taxicabs that nevertheless "pass" their emission tests.

We need clean-screening, and we need it badly.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Bud, if you can keep the rust away from a vehicle for 20 years in Ontario Canada, you deserve 'classic' status for it!

There are very few 'beaters' on the road here. The rust does them in way before they can get to that class.

Mike

Mike Romain

A lot of retired people are driving rust-free older vehicles. My '89 Festiva spends most of it's time in the garage since I stopped commuting. It has little rust on it. I think as the population ages and more car owners retire we'll see more 20-year-old vehicles on the road. That should bug the hell out of the envirofreaks who have taken over the government bureaucracy. :)

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

Whatever you say, ace. The GTA's air is filthy and needs all the cleanup help it can get.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I was born in downtown Toronto (Sherbourne Street) and mostly raised there but left after graduating in 1972. The air back then was bad. But 75% of the pollutants had been removed by the 1980's. Most of what's there now comes in on the breeze from the industrial heartland of the USA. Nothing you do to auto emissions in the GTA is going to change that I'm afraid. Apparently we're suffering from it all the way up here in Ottawa now. I hadn't noticed although I sure noticed it when I used to live in Toronto.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

Sure, it was dirtier then. Was it 75% dirtier? That's debatable, and doesn't change the fact it's still dirty now. Remember, there are a lot more people, cars and trucks now.

Pish. Ontario still burns dirt (coal) to make electricity, and there's just as much dirty industry in and around Hamilton/Sarnia/Windsor as there is in the US.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern