how did that get there

With the annoying misfire on Kato (200tdi Disco) I remembered I hadn't drained the sedimentor at service-( those who know will now say this normally happens) and when tried at first the drain tap wouldnt budge then sheared off when encouraged so I unbolted the sod and poured out a quantity of water followed by a jellyfish big bugger it was then a quantity of sediment/crap I've seen derv wax but never seen it gel and certainly not in warm weather. Derek

Reply to
Derek

It's a mass of bacteria that lives in the interface twixt diesel and water. Marine engine types apply a biocide to kill it off, just drying out the tank doesn't seem to work because as soon as moisture gets back in the jelly re appears and clogs the filters.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Almost scuppered the task force in the Falklands as they had problems with the filters in the marine propulsion units and almost came to grief. Did you know that there was also a problem with bacteria producing Sulfuric acid and eating into the subs hulls ?

Reply to
Hirsty's

Cladosporium something-or-other I think. It's a pity it turns diesel into jelly and not ditch water into diesel.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Now there's a thought :-)))

Reply to
Hirsty's

Cladysporium Resinae. Some older designs of aircraft fuel tanks have capsules of Strontium Chromate in the tanks to prevent it's formation, but most aviation fuels now have chemicals in the anti-icing additive pack to prevent it's formation. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Nope, I was just familiar with the jelly blocking the tank filter on just one of my tractors.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

There's a fair amount of interest in an algae that has a high oil content, even some discussion about injecting just the dry algae.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I bet someone somewhere is working on it. In fact the required bacterium probably already exists and just needs to be discovered and "adjusted". Thinking of the oily patches that you sometimes see floating on stagnant pools with thick black anerobic mud undeneath.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You may find this interesting

Robert