Question

I have a 1994 Mazda 626 4 cylinder car. I had an over heating problem that corrected itself when I took the thermostat out of the car in the summer. I had a great deal of rust in the coolant and used a radiator cleaner to try to get the rust out of it. The next problem was trying to flush the system myself. The radiator intake and outflow are above the engine block and there is no flushing tool to use with a garden hose to flush the system. Does anyone have an idea of what to do? Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jppr

Double check that radiator intake. It should be below the engine. If it were above the block then a slight coolant loss would stop all circulation.

On my vehicles, I usually fill, warm up, and flush several times.

Reply to
Paul

One way to glush with a garden hose is to remove the inlet heater hose from the engine, connect the garden hose, using your imagination to find ways that don't leak too bad, to one end and plug the other. Take the rad cap off and turn on the water. DON'T RUN THE ENGINE WHILE DOING THIS. It should after some time have reasonably clean water coming out of the rad.

Reply to
golden oldie

actually many heater hoses are 5/8" i.d. and so are most garden hoses; I use a garden hose repair adapter with 5/8" heater hose to make up a short adapter for flushing heater cores etc. no reason you couldn't do the same with a whole engine. just remove a heater hose from its fitting (difficult if they are old, but that may be a sign you need new hoses) and attach a short length of new heater hose. on the other end of the hose attach a female garden hose repair fitting, attach that to the end of your actual garden hose et voila.

If you are going to do this it might help to open the block drains in your engine block and flush through there, then replace the block drains and remove the lower radiator hose at the radiator (petcock will not allow enough flow for a good flush)

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What Nate said..........ditto.

If you can't afford....... the adaptor from the parts store.....then rig one up .....go through a heater hose to do the flush.

One difference between me and Nate......I prefer take'n the rad cap off to let the water flush out........THEN, when done.... take the lower hose off and run water into the radiator to wash out the bottom. But..i'm now using a flush machine.....so it's a bit easier.

anywhoooooo......anyway is better than no way, and finding a way is ok.

:)

GL

~:~ MarshMonster

Reply to