Raybestos (Raymond) Rotors---opinions?

Hi All-

I needed some new pads adn rotors for my 99 Altima and called Kragen Auto up, they quoted me $53 for the Raybestos rotor. When I went to go buy it the box said RAYMOND and they are made in china. The sales lady assured me that these were Raybestos rotors...i really dont know what to think. They use the same part # as Raybestos, but why is it called RAYMOND? Does anyone have any experiance with these? I'm also worried that these were made in china...should I be?

thanks

Reply to
elmo

Because some clever dumbshit is importing 3rd-world garbage and giving it a name and number that kinda, sorta looks like that of a reputable company. No, they're not Raybestos rotors, regardless of what the knownothing behind the parts counter told you. She's a minimum-wager, no more qualified to discuss brake part quality than the kid who serves you your Whopper With Cheese Super Value Meal (fries with that?).

I certainly would be. The Chinese are notorious for counterfeit safety approval markings on everything from toasters to...brake rotors.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

|Hi All- | |I needed some new pads adn rotors for my 99 Altima and called Kragen Auto |up, they quoted me $53 for the Raybestos rotor. When I went to go buy it |the box said RAYMOND and they are made in china. The sales lady assured me |that these were Raybestos rotors...i really dont know what to think. They |use the same part # as Raybestos, but why is it called RAYMOND? Does anyone |have any experiance with these? I'm also worried that these were made in |china...should I be?

Where are you located? |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Are you sure those did not say "Raymold"? Raymold is Raybestos 2nd line.

|Hi All- | |I needed some new pads adn rotors for my 99 Altima and called Kragen Auto |up, they quoted me $53 for the Raybestos rotor. When I went to go buy it |the box said RAYMOND and they are made in china. The sales lady assured me |that these were Raybestos rotors...i really dont know what to think. They |use the same part # as Raybestos, but why is it called RAYMOND? Does anyone |have any experiance with these? I'm also worried that these were made in |china...should I be? | |thanks | |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Yes, I'm sorry, they are called Raymold...my bad.

Reply to
elmo

|> Are you sure those did not say "Raymold"? |> Raymold is Raybestos 2nd line. | |Yes, I'm sorry, they are called Raymold...my bad.

I'm checking on the source of those. Probably will be tomorrow.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Here's the reply from a Raybestos rep:

"We do out source about 25% of the Raymold rotors in Asian countries where we have identified quality second line suppliers who manufacture to our specs. The remainder of the line is in manufactured either North or South America by us at our foundries and finished in our plants. The Raymold numbering system is a 10 followed by our normal PG+ part number.. While the Raymold is the prominent name on the label, the Raybestos name is also on all of our Raymold products."

Hope that helps.

I have looked at the Raymold rotors and compared them to both the Raybestos and also our generic Asian-sourced l |Hi All- | |I needed some new pads adn rotors for my 99 Altima and called Kragen Auto |up, they quoted me $53 for the Raybestos rotor. When I went to go buy it |the box said RAYMOND and they are made in china. The sales lady assured me |that these were Raybestos rotors...i really dont know what to think. They |use the same part # as Raybestos, but why is it called RAYMOND? Does anyone |have any experiance with these? I'm also worried that these were made in |china...should I be? | |thanks | |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Thanks...much appreciated

Reply to
elmo

Wagner do the same, second quality also made in china is Guardian by warner, first quality is simply called Wagner

Reply to
Richard