Actual trailer pulling for 2007 4Runner V6 Limited

I have a 2007 4Runner Limited Edition V6 4x4 and have been asked to pull a trailer (Uhaul 6' x 12' x 8') that will be packed full and I have no idea how much it will weigh loaded - they want to take it 1000+ miles and then have me return the trailer to the starting point.

I'm worried that my new baby won't do well, not even 4000 miles on it yet, and I never really intended to pull a trailer with it.

Since I don't know the weight, filled with a house full of stuff, should I avoid this?

Reply to
Leythos

It all depends on who is asking you. If it's a close relative you really can't say no, as long as you do it right. And if you have to pay out money to do it, they should reimburse at least part of it - unless you figure you can get them to return the favor in kind later.

  1. Find out the towing capacity ratings for your exact car.
  2. Find out if the car has the towing package installed - If not, and it's an automatic, you /must/ get the auxiliary transmission cooler installed - this is not up for debate.

The rest of the trailer package items (more aggressive fan clutch, bigger radiator, bigger alternator and battery) are totally optional

*IF* you take it easy and watch the gauges.

If the trailer had electric brakes, or a travel trailer with a house battery you were trying to recharge while driving, then I'd start thinking about the bigger alternator. But not just for another set of tail lights.

  1. If your car has the electronic tail lamp failure monitor you can't just splice in the trailer lights, you must get the trailer light converter installed.
  2. Get a good frame mount receiver hitch installed, preferably a welded install by a shop that does several a day. No clamp-ons or "one size fits all" kits - you do NOT want to see the trailer passing you on a hill, this is bad...
  3. As they load the trailer, make sure they load it right. All the heavy stuff down low and slightly forward of center, and the light stuff on top and at the ends. You want 10% tongue weight or it's going to wag and fishtail on you, you can guesstimate by how many people it takes to lift the tongue.
  4. Once they load the trailer, go to a truck scale and get the true weight, to make sure they didn't overload the trailer and/or your car. If they did, go back and take stuff out.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Unless you can get a handle on the approximate weight, I might consider renting a truck and car trailer. You can then load up your stuff and trailer the 4Runner behind the rental truck. If the 4Runner can be flat or "dinghy" towed (check the manual!), you won't need the car trailer.

If you can get some sort of idea of the weight, and it's within the published limits, I'd go for it. I've towed plenty with my 2005 V6 Tacoma, within Toyota's 6500 pound limit, with very nice handling and performance. Remember to include what you plan on putting in the

4Runner (people, luggage, etc...), and the terrain you're traversing, when considering total vehicle weight with regard to towing performance. What might tow nicely across the prairies or down the eastern seaboard might not do so well in the high desert or mountains.
Reply to
B A R R Y

Thanks for the info - I bought the 4Runner limited with the standard hitch package installed by Toyota, it's included in the Limited edition. It shows 5000# trailer, but that doesn't mean a lot to me - can't tell from looking and I'm not going to be there for the loading. Because I have so many variables I guess I'm just going to turn this one down.

Reply to
Leythos

I sure as hell would turn it down!

Let them rent a U Haul Truck......

Reply to
Scott in Florida

If you have the transmission cooler in front of the radiator, that's the only "You Have To" item.

The car can handle 5000 pounds, no problem - With someone driving that has some experience towing. If you've never done it before, you are wise to turn it down, because there is a learning curve to everything.

As long as Aunt Gertrude doesn't collect Anvils, you should be OK - but you still go to a truck scale and get it weighed anyway, because most people are lousy guessers at what stuff weighs. Or they guess the individual items right, but blow it by not adding it up and getting an accurate total. It sneaks up on you.

Make a point of being there for the loading, and the weight distribution won't be a problem. Where it really sucks is when they put all the weight at the back, and you're on the shoulder of the highway unloading and reloading the whole trailer because it's so tail-heavy it's dancing the Watusi every time you get above 50.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman