Highlander on rough roads

I don't do a lot of off-road use of an SUV. However, I do live 4 miles down a gravel county road that has quite a few potholes. The other consideration here; we get quite a bit of snow in the winter. Our road is pretty much at the bottom of our county's priorities for maintenance.

We are debating how well a Highlander would handle our road. We've gotten by for years with a Subaru legacy. A bit more clearance would be nice-as would be the ability to put on a heavier tire(the gravel the county uses seems to eat tires).

We've also considered going to a true off-road vehicle like the FJ cruiser. The ability of the highlander to seat more people and its gas milage are both big pluses.

What is the opinion of other folks here?

Reply to
randall_burns

Id be on the countys ass about fixing the roads... your hard earned money is going to waste in the form of taxes my friend...

Reply to
GO Mavs

If the Legacy did it, the Highlander will be fine.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I think the Highlander will do at least as well as the Legacy. Both are car-based vehicles built on a unitized chassis. Besides the FJ Cruiser, the

4Runner is a body-on-frame chassis and is more suited for off-road use. I think any of those vehicles should be fine for rough road use.
Reply to
Ray O

What kind of highlander? If the hybrid, it is not designed to be driven off-road. If your getting the 4cyl dont get the 3rd row package, you may feel underpowered with 7 passengers. If your coming from a AWD vehicle you will feel a significant change once you go 2WD on a highlander. I used to drive an AWD 4cyl 98 RAV4 and then switched to an 07 Camry since I no longer drive on rough roads.

Reply to
EdV