Automatic headlights

Hey, it looks like I'm on a lighting kick; first fog lights and now headlights!

So, my question is: Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity of the automatic headlights in my 2005 Camry? I want them to come on sooner as it gets dark. I don't mind turning on my own headlights, really, but this feature is there, and I'd like to be able to have it work the way *I* want it to work . . . .

The owners' manual says that the sensitivity can be changed, but doesn't suggest how; " . . . have the sensor adjusted by your Toyota dealer."

I was in at my Toyota dealer yesterday and the service guy said something like "That's something we can't change . . . ." and I was toooo lazy to drag out the manual and show him.

So, has anyone out there had the sensitivity of their automatic headlights changed? If so, how was it done?

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

On the dashboard at the end of the defogger vent in front of the driver is a photo sensor that looks like a black plastic domed button. To make sure you have the correct sensor, cover it with your hand for a minute or two and see if the headlights come on. To make the headlights come on earlier, twist the sensor clockwise to screw it deeper into the dash. If that fails, use some electrical tape to partially cover the sensor.

Reply to
Ray O

I coulda sworn "Ray O" typ'd:

Yup; I know where it is . . . .

Now THAT's the kind of information I'm looking for! I'll try that when my wife gets the Camry back. I'll be sure to let the guys at the dealership know.

Uhhhh . . . that I thought of, but it isn't the kind of thing I want to do if there's a RIGHT way to adjust it.

I wonder why the owner's manual couldn't say that the sensor adjusts by screwing in and out (and why the service guys didn't know that).

THANX!

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

The info is in the owner's manaul for the 97 Avalon, I remember seeing it in there.

The electrical tape is kind of Mickey Mouse but it does work.

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O

I coulda sworn Don Fearn typ'd:

Camry's back. Sensor located. Won't turn, even with BUP-LV[*]. No joy.

[*] Big Ugly Pliers - Long Version

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

Hmmmm... Those are the instructions in the 9 Avalon repair manual. It says to turn the adjustment knob on the sensor and shows arrows around the sensor. Maybe there is a separate knob on the underside of the sensor? That would require some contortions to reach the sensor from the underside of the dash!

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote: snip

There's not a sort of 'snap off protector cap' with a clear centre is there?. (to keep kids from messing with it)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Could be, if I think of it, I'll check mine out.

Reply to
Ray O