Daytime running lights.

I noticed while on vacation that my DTRL will stay off if the parking brake is engaged even though the vehicle (01 Toyota Camry) is running. This tells me there is probably another way to disable them so they stay off while the vehicle is being used at least until the next start up.

The reason I'd like to do it is just to confuse people who are too nosey. Other than that I like my DTRL and feel they help make a vehicle more visible..

Reply to
Charles Pisano

The DRLs are wired into the brake switch. If you raise the handle 1 click, the DRLs will stay off. The problem with this is that the brake warning light will be on. Problem is, there is probably only 1 wire connected to the switch, and the brake warning light and the DRLs are run off the one wire. That is how I would have done it. If there ARE two wires, determine which one controls the DRLs and ground it...

Reply to
hachiroku

Then, you can deactivate the rear brakes. Who needs safety equipment, eh?

Reply to
Sharx35

Sure. Why not. Let's disable the brake lights and the turn signals, too. Who needs 'em? They just use electricity, which decreases fuel economy...

Reply to
hachiroku

Hey Hach, the new Avalon, at least our Limited, has a position on switch to turn off DRL's.

The headlight were in auto the other day, she went down ramp to parking, lights came on and tried to "level" she sure had a trip til she figured them out

Ron

Reply to
ron

I did try riding with the parking brake on one click but it felt as if the rears were slighly engaging. I doubt that they really were , but it felt like it. Probably the power of suggestion. I should have mentioned you have to start the vehicle with the parking brake on to disable them. Too bad they don't have a clapper...8>0

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Like the old saying "you can't protect the idiots from themselves"

Course I am more worried about me!

Here in the golden state, in the idiot protection area,

It is now against the law to drive in daylight, no matter the visibility, if you have your windshield wipers on.

When in doubt, pass a law.

they can't balance a budget in Sacramento but they got time to get these kinds of laws......

Ron

Reply to
ron

If you cannot drive in daylight with your windshield wipers on, why not turn the windshield wipers off?

Or did you mean that you are supposed to have headlights illuminated if your windshield wipers are on? That has been the case in Illinois for a while.

Reply to
Ray O

Where did you get that idea? I believe you are thinking about the law thats says when it necessary to use your windshield wipers, you must also have your headlights on. That makes California law consistent with many other states.

The reason your headlight should be on in poor visibility (such as when it is raining), is so others can see you better, NOT so you can see better.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

Yeah, they do. i like that feature! There are times I wish I had DRLs, and then there are times...TURN YOUR LIGHTS OFF!!! THe GM's are WAY too bright!

I did wire up some 'driving' lights on the Chrysler, and since I didn't want to cut the dash, hang some ugly looking toggle switch, and no 'blanks' anywhere, I tapped into the parking lights, so when I turn the parking lights on the driving lights come on. (Yes, of course i used a relay and a fuse!)

Reply to
hachiroku

Georgia was like that about 100 years ago...or at least when I was a 19 year old...

Reply to
hachiroku

Bollocks

Reply to
No Spam

Agreed. Responsible drivers, like yourself, realize the need for such safety devices as DRL's, seat belts, air bags, etc.. Only overgrown adolescents rebel against them.

Reply to
Sharx35