emergency brake

My new teen driver took my car out yesterday. He ended up leaving the emergency brake on for a 30 minute drive. There was smoke coming from the car that other drivers were pointing out to him, but he did not stop. I have to take the car in today. What can I expect the damage to be? Thank you for your help.

Reply to
wml2005

Except for the mechanical parts, probably your boy's pride.

Reply to
badgolferman

You dont say what car this emergency brake is on !

I have never seen a car with such a brake only on a train so how does it work ?

Steve

Reply to
RADIOTWO

In case this isn't a troll, the OP meant "parking brake".

Reply to
Travis Jordan

The car is a Toyota Corolla. And you're right. It's the parking brake. Not the emergency brake.

Reply to
wml2005

First of all, passenger cars are equipped with parking brakes, not emergency brakes.

To answer your question, it depends on the vehicle and type of parking brake system. Toyota uses 3 types of parking brakes and the damage will depend on the type.

On vehicles with drum brakes, the brake linings will be worn and drums may be warped or worn.

On vehicles with rear disc brakes with a parking brake that uses the brake caliper, the brake pads and rotor may be worn.

On vehicles with rear disc brakes with an auxiliary drum parking brake, the parking brake linings and rotor may be worn.

Reply to
Ray O

So why did he not say that !

And what is a Troll ?

Reply to
RADIOTWO

Thank you so much for your answer. It was very helpful.

Reply to
wml2005

Badly worn brake shoes. Possibly, badly worn brake drums.

You need to spend more time in the car with your teen if he or she is driving around with the parking brake on.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'm surprised that the car took off with the parking brake on.......

Doesn't say much for the brakes!

David

Reply to
David

If the parking brake cable or rear drum brakes are not adjusted properly or the parking brake is not fully engaged (as if often the case), the engine can easily overcome the parking brakes.

Reply to
Ray O

New to usenet, are we?

Travis Jordan

That must be why I was able to get my father's '87 Chevy Celebrity moving with the parking brake on after the release cable broke. What a piece of junk that car was.

Reply to
S.S.

"RADIOTWO" wrote in news:42960398$0$22504$ snipped-for-privacy@mistral.news.newnet.co.uk:

Why, isn't that the critter that asked the three Billy Goats Gruff, "who's that trip-trapping on my bridge?"

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Which can be used as an emergency brake, therefore doubles as an emergency brake therefore can be called an emergency brake...anyone here wish to bet me 1000 USD that it cannot?!?...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

David wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've seen this before. The driver will come back complaining of very poor response and low power from the car, accompanied by a burning smell when stopped.

Even though the dash light is on, it doesn't get noticed because an amazing number of people do not look at their dashboards.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Like the poster here who had the oil light on for something like 6 months and complaining that the car was sludged!

Reply to
Ray O

Anything could be used in an emergency, whether it works or not is another thing...

For example, when they realize that the car in front is stopped and they're running out of room, most people will yell %#%*^&$ right before they rear end the car. It is an emergency utterance but not very effective :-o

By the way, I'm sure the reason the cable-operated braked is called a parking brake is so that someone doesn't try to claim that the emergency brakes didn't work in an emergency.

Reply to
Ray O

It looks like only one (RayO)of a dozen or so responses actually answered your question. I would think you will be buying drums or rotors along with shoes or pads, at least. I am going to guess you will be out about $350 at the dealer. Let us know. jor

Reply to
jor

You can bet the fawm on thatn...

Reply to